Wednesday, December 11, 2013

On Being Vulnerable... #IceSkatesRequired


Sometimes, I feel superhuman. Mostly because of what’s projected back to me about me. I think I’m a pretty sensitive, needy, softie. Don’t believe me? Watch me interact with my nieces, nephews or goddaughters. Or any kids for that matter. All that developmental stuff goes out the door. My singular priority becomes their smile. Seeing their cute lil’smile.

But, that’s not really who I am (to people). I’m Wonder(ous) Woman! I’m not afraid of anything. I can do everything. Tears? Tears are for suckas (not really, just making a point). And above all, I am not vulnerable.

Only, that’s probably what I am, mostly. Vulnerable. I’m the most fragile thing I know. Consistently in danger of breaking. Vulnerable just looks a little different on me. You might not see my cry. Or have an emotionally charged outburst. Or call you for closure. That’s never been me. Maybe I would be more emotionally balanced if I did those things, but, it’s not my style. So, the question becomes, when will you see my vulnerable?

Ice. Skating.

What person, clearly high on some illegal substance, invented this? I know how it happened. There was a group of them smoking said substance, eating cheetos, and acting like Introduction to Philosophy students discussing the meaning of motor oil and tooth picks. Someone was looking for a knife to spread some peanut butter on a piece of fried chicken skin because they eat all the same color foods together, and slipped and fell. Then they thought to themselves, “I bet I would have been able to keep my balance if I strapped this butter knife to my Timberland work boots.”

Yep. That’s the etymology of ice skating.

I had no plans to skate on ice. None. I attended this event to hang out with friends, have a few laughs, and watch other people fall down. Maybe get a picture or two of said “falling” and look cute in my winter scarf and gloves. Those were my goals.

How did I get on the ice? A challenge. All it takes is a competition. “Oh, so you scared?” … “Don’t tell me you can’t ice skate?!” …and the statement that had me in line requesting size 10’s: “You’re just gonna punk out, huh?”

Peer pressure is the last pair of Jessica Simpson heels you’ve been looking in store and online for, only to find…for full price. Of course I bought them.

#RealTears&Prayers
And I’m on the ice. Only, I don’t know how to ice skate at all. I have some rhythm (it’s genetic) but seeing that I have fallen down attempting to stand up, I didn’t get an A in balance. Balance happens to be the one skill needed to ice skate. Or ice shuffle. Or ice stand. Or just be physically out on the gottdamn ice whilst holding on to the side.

But I’m a competitor. So I fought through every inclination to get off the ice and find a seat in the bleachers huddled with the smarter people. How did I get around on the ice? I hate you asked. Well, I did a couple of laps holding on to the side. Waiting for little kids clearly practicing for the Ice Capades to pass, cringing at grown ups with "coverage" #ChrisRock falling down (Lord don’t let it be me!), and praying. Lots and lots of Dear Father God in Heaven’s were prayed that day.

Then my friend. A guy (stay with me, there’s always a guy) saw me probably praying and clearly searching (without movement on the ice) for the exit. About to give up. He held my hand and encouraged me around the ice. He was in awe that there was this thing, this particular activity that showed him a proverbial birth mark he never believed to be on my brown skin. Vulnerability. I was born vulnerable. Who knew? What’s more, was his reaction: Shock. It shocked him to see me that way. I’m Wonder(ous) Woman, remember? That's what he projects back to me.
There. Is. Nothing. Fun. About. This.

But he kinda liked it. #NoRingOnIt Me. Vulnerable.

Shortly thereafter, he saw me on a bench ready to hurl the first ice skate off my foot at someone.

I hope he got a screenshot of that. Of me, vulnerable. It ain’t happening again, boss.

Only, it’s absolutely happening again. It’s happening again this very Winter. This very December. Because the only thing worse than being born vulnerable, is being handed a challenge – and not accepting.

No comments:

Post a Comment