Monday, December 18, 2017

Tony! Toni! Toné! Part II Gave Me The Sads, Y'all

I saw Tony! Toni! Toné! at Yoshi's and I have sadness. But before I had sadness, I saw Raphael Saadiq at District in Oakland, and I had all kinds of awkward happiness. Yall, I was up in that tiny joint having a good ole time with my friends. Then, someone goes… Is that Raphael Saadiq? Yeah, that is…they say he’s always hanging out with his folks around here. And, they went on about their business, because it’s true. Raphael is a son of Oakland, so when he’s hanging out, he’s home. Only, it’s just that, he has no clue how many times my sisters and I danced to Little Walter in the large living room mirror in our house on Baylor Street, so I should probably talk to him and say Hey! In this tiny, crowded bar. In the most humble and awkward way possible. Because Sinbad was hilarious in that video.

And find someone to take a picture of you, gurl.

Happiness. I mean, so much happiness, I totally forgot that earlier in the day I spilled something on my shirt, and had been wearing a cream Banana Republic cardigan buttoned up as a shirt. Because, science.

So, even though I knew that the Tony! Toni! Toné! I was headed to see*, was not the exact same R&B, funky, soul super group of my youth, I expected to be pleasantly entertained. In my mind, it was not possible to mess things up, right? I mean, if every song you have is a hit, then how, Sway – we ask in love. How, Sway?

Before the performance began (late), there was a video showing. Timeless. I thought to myself, you know what, their music is timeless, so this must be something important to watch. Pay close attention, gurl. The video consisted of lovers on the beach, possibly slaves being sold, a cultural dance circle with painted faces, and the group in the studio exchanging hats. On repeat. For the entire time we were there.

The show begins with music. That’s all I can say about it. I can’t qualify the type of music, but it was a stage with people playing instruments so there was music. *shrugs*

D’Wayne Wiggins finally emerges from the back and I think to myself, okay, maybe they needed him out here to make the music better. I’ll wait. Well, it’s Monday. Guess what I’m doing. -_-

But, it sounds something like the sound I remembered from days since past. So I got time. Time enough to see the second coming from Raphael Saadiq. Who is this tall, bald, bow-tied, brutha trying to sound like Raphael? I mean, he doesn’t sound bad, but perhaps he should have had that tea before the show. It’s like in math, there’s an order of operations. When you do them out of order, you get the wrong answer in those FB posts with McDonald’s fries, fans with missing blades, and clocks telling different times. #YouDoTheMath
Beats are dropping, songs are playing, and I have questions that are beginning to turn into sadnesses. Jigs took a picture of me. I literally saw my soul broken. It wept, like Jesus, for my eyes and ears. All I needed was Anthony Hamilton to come thru and give me a good raspy bridge over my troubled spirit.

Halfway through the show, D’Wayne gave the members of the band an opportunity to showcase their musical talents. We also learned that he was unaware of some of their names, and the names of the instruments. A baritone saxophone is also known as a "big ass sax" and I really just wanted to go back to SF Jazz…like not even to see a show. I would have been good at one of their staff meetings. This was also a point in the show where I wondered if Sway was ever gonna tell us how this all was happening. He never showed. He makes good decisions.

Well, now that we’ve given the Raphael stand-in an opportunity to drink more tea, it’s time to play more of those hits we once loved. Let's Get Down begins, and I mean, I got kinda happy. It’s a classic. And it features a classic – DJ Quick. Just as soon as my mood was beginning to lift, I realize that there are dancers. Like two female-identifying persons dancing on the stage. Doing interpretive dance. You know, interpreting the song lyrics like you do with your friends when you’re in the car on the way to some shenanigan. Like on first Sunday when the youth and young adult ministry is performing before communion. Like, WHY ARE YOU DOING INTERPRETIVE DANCE ON THIS SMALL ASS STAGE WHERE THEY HAVE A BIG ASS SAX?! This is not okay.

I can’t do this Jesus.

So, there are more body rolls, tea being sipped, instruments being played by the forgotten, flatly held notes, and D’Wayne reminding us constantly how Oakland he is while sippin on tequila. I would blame my sadnesses on the tequila, but gin is the only alcohol that has ever wronged me. And I hold grudges.

My thoughts, enumerated:

3. I want a ginger ale.

11. Why am I here, in this place, doing this, with people I like?

2. What am I watching, exactly?

13. She should do this routine to Safe In His Arms cause that body roll would go well with that’s why I safeeee…don’t you feel safeeee?

4. They shouldn’t give some people weaves. Because they get them and think they somebody, and really they just in my way when I’m trying to figure out if that’s indeed a scene from the slave trade, or I’ve been watching this looped video too long. If she stands up one more time, it’s gonn’ be smoke in the town.

22. I don’t really feel safe, or anything here. But, now that Oakland is gentrified, I kinda really actually don’t feel safe, but before the gentrifiers, I did. Is that weird?

1. It’s not over yet? Cause they promptly cut Rahsaan Patterson's set, and we definitely could have had more of that.

17. I don’t wanna do this anymore.

3b. I really want a ginger ale. Cause I’m sick of this.

Eventually, I got to a thought I continued to return to – #7. Why exactly isn’t Raphael part of this? Apparently, everybody on that tiny stage was related or went waaaayyy back – except for the people he just met that day and the instruments he renamed. I mean think about it, Brandy – Queen Latifah – MC Lyte – Yoyo wanted us to all be down again. Xscape gave us a reunion tour and reality show that we maybe didn’t want with hindsight being 20/20 and we ain’t got Lasik in the here and now. Like, people come back to a good thing, sometimes. The New Edition tour was hella dope! Remember? As out of shape as Bobby was, we all LIVED that night in Oracle! 

If the absence of Raphael is a thing, it’s a warning to us all, about returning to things that have long since passed. Like what Kandi is (not) doing now, in real time. Whether you left them, or they left you. Be it a happy departure, or one filled with words never to be recollected. Forever has a beginning and an end. And the era of Tony! Toni! Toné! has long since gone. D’Wayne is holding on to something so beautiful, letting it rust before our eyes. I mean, Tony! Toni! Toné! – as much as I love my Daddie-given name – made me want to be named Deja so somebody could sing about how much they really loved me on the field at Drake Stadium at UCLA while people ran around the track. I needed that.

But my name was never changed. And other songs came along. I grew to learn to love to insert my own name in them. And I found joy. D’Wayne hasn’t found any joy in the after, holding on to what was. We all learned this the hard way.

Friday night, I went to see a band do covers of Tony! Toni! Toné! songs. I give them a C. And we know that C’s do not get cashed out during report card season, thought hey earn degrees. But, make good decisions with your money and see Rahsaan Patterson next time he’s at Yoshi’s.

If you ever ask me to go see the different Tony! Toni! Toné! the experience following will be unpleasant.
______________

* Tony! Toni! Toné! crashed out of their Oakland neighborhood in 1988 with their Gold debut album Who? which spawned the hit "Little Walter". In 1990, to both critical and popular acclaim, their second album The Revival garnered four # 1 Billboard hits including "Feels Good," "Whatever You Want," "The Blues" and "It Never Rains (In Southern California)" and went Platinum. The success of The Revival and its subsequent headlining tour was realized during various awards shows: 1991 NAACP Image Award for "Vocal Group of The Year", 1991 American Music Award for "Favorite R&B/Soul Group" and 1991 ASCAP Award for "Feels Good". In 2006, D’Wayne Wiggins and Timothy Christian Riley regrouped along with their cousin, Amar Khalil performing lead vocals. They have been touring the United States delivering their classic hits to sold-out audiences across the country. Tony! Toni! Toné!’s much anticipated 25th Anniversary album is due to be released later this year.

1 comment: