Wednesday, March 25, 2020

Adult Supervision Required or Cookies.Rule.Everything.Around.Me. The Beginning...

I stand in constant need of (prayer and) adult’ish supervision.

Okay, so this one time, I was on my way to visit a friend after work. She had not made it home just yet, so I went to her house anyway because I don’t believe in traditional manners or decorum and she has young adult’ish aged kids, so it’s technically not trespassing if someone invites you in. Like I was saying, her eldest daughter greeted me. My mom will be home soon, come in. I can’t wait. Like not at all. Yassss! I can’t wait I need some roasted broccoli like ASAP. You would think that a dish requiring only three ingredients would be easily replicated. But my friend, that Black girl’s mama, she got that magic flick of the wrist like #SaltBae. She seasons the broccoli with the exact amount of hypertension adjacency with the fury of twelve great auntie’s smiling upon us from the afterlife. Let’s just call her #BroccoliBae. Also, I will outsource any task because I believe in letting experts do what they do best. Like put gas in your car. Thanks New Jersey. Also, my apologies for that one time when I well…you know what I did. I ain’t even know.

Anyway, my friend hadn’t made it there yet, but these munchies were right on time. So, I’m rummaging through the kitchen for anything to snack on. This is why I keep Target fruit snacks in my purse – but the way my snack cravings had been set up, I didn’t have time to re-up my purse stash. Negro. I say to myself in my head. Are those snickerdoodles? I think my heart skipped a beat. Bruh, them joints is homemade. Grab that container right now. Hell yeah. Jack they asses for the cookies. They won’t even notice they’re gone until it’s too late.

Now, with the container under my arm and a cookie in hand, I’m about to get that work. I take a bite of the most delicious, the most buttery sweetness trapped in a cookie (I’m exaggerating, but I was hungry so that joint was hella good) as I walk into the living room with the colonized container. My friend’s daughter has this look on her face that was worried with a hint of anxiousness. As she should be. I’m about to eat all of these cookies.

Well, she actually looks really concerned. Also, she is reaching out towards me so that’s weird. I wonder what’s wrong, but not enough to stop eating. OMG noooo, you can’t eat that much. They’re not regular cookies. I’m confused because it looks and tastes like a regular cookie. Why not? They taste just fine. That response did not appease her. You’re not supposed to eat that much. It has THC in it – like, you know, edibles. You’re only supposed to eat like a fourth of it. Now I’m starting to see what was troubling her. But again, this is not enough to actually infect me with her worry. Anyway, who eats a fourth of a cookie? But I ate almost all of it already. What should I do? Should I just finish it? These are important questions to help me determine whether or not I should worry. I’m also still kinda hungry which is why we are gathered here today. Uh… Meaning, probably not, but who am I to put words in her mouth when I put the wrong cookie in mine. I’m not batting a thousand at the moment. I also don’t heed good advice when I’m hungry. Yolo *shrug*. I mean, I’ve gone this far, so I minuswhale.

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/575897871092527455/
The whole cookie was gone. It wasn’t that big in the first place. Like what harm could one little homemade cookie do? It was the size of those cookies you get at Miss Fields, the tiny ones! Okay, it was a little bigger, but on the scale of Miss Fields to Pizzokie, it was maybe one of the larger small cookies you got from Miss Fields that made you feel like you got more for your money than you were supposed to get so you feel like you got over.

Wait a minute. Yoooo, I just ate drugs. Like what the hell? Should I stay or should I go home? What’s the protocol? I ate drugs in my friend’s house. I haven’t eaten dinner. I wonder if drugs react badly to an empty stomach. I should go home, hunh? I feel like her daughter knew that I was asking myself a lot of questions in my head, because she was like, I don’t know what time my Mom will be home. I think she’s getting here soon though. I couldn’t wait that long because I ate drugs, so I should probably be where I live before they kick in. I should be in a safe place. This means I need to get in the car and go home now. I’m okay. I should be okay. BUT *finger raised* in the off chance that I am not okay, I should be safe. That’s right – safe is the safe word of the day. Remember it.

I made it home, rather quickly. Thankfully, Bay Area traffic knew that this was a code red and we needed to get the chains off[1] the highway doors. I made it home in record time. I go through my whole home routine too, because I am not on drugs yet. I just have them in me like a drug mule. My stomach enzymes are maybe on drugs though. Shoes off. Bra off (unlatched expertly with one hand and then pulled though the arm opening of my shirt). Work clothes off. Lounging clothes on. Work on the nightstand. Laptop on. TV on. Check the mail. Yo, I am really gonna kick this drug thing before it even sets in. I am so proud of myself. I am delightfully not impacted by the drugs I accidentally ate. My body is a fortress. A strong and mighty tower. A pillar of strength.

ONE HOUR LATER. What the fcuk was I about to do? *scratches head in confused* I have been sitting at the edge of the bed like in one of those pictures where you can’t tell if the person is coming or going. There is no shadow so you’re gonna need to look for other clues. Was I about to get up or sit down? I haven’t committed to either direction. I literally have no idea what I was about to do, but Matt Damon is getting on my nerves in this stupid ass movie. What is it about anyway and why is it taking them so long to get that little girl in the damn machine and cure her advanced H1N1 or whatever disease they have a cure for but don’t give to people because capitalism protects itself at all costs? Where is Dave Chappelle’s wrap it up box when you need it? This movie is like a mash up of Johnny Neumonic and that Kurt Russell movie. What was the name of it again? Yeah, I remember I thought that movie was the sh!t back then – Johnny Neumonic, not that Kurt Russell joint. Man, a lot of movies back in the day did that whole mind/virtual reality thing before Samsung was out here scaring people’s grandmas. There was Total Recall, Virtuosity, Strange Days. Wait, damn like we were #BlackLivesMatter before we were #BlackLivesMatter. The police straight up killed a Black rapper, there was a riot, and Angela Bassett was on the front line. She is the Auntie we don’t deserve.

ANOTHER HOUR PASSED. Oh, I think I was hungry. That’s right. I ate drugs, I should eat something that isn’t drugs. Oh yeah – food. Is that movie still on? It’s so strange. Like that Math 32A midterm. How did I get #3 wrong? *begins to use finger and write in the air (like Daddie) in the room to figure out where I effed up on that math problem* Ahh, that makes sense now. I took that L, but I won’t keep it. I’ll bounce back. They won’t get me the next time. *continues to do more advanced calculus from 10+ years ago in the air* Food! EAT FOOD! You are a drug addict now. You have to remember to eat. This is also known as paranoia. We have arrived fully and completely. I am in that place now. I was also supposed to remember a word. I have no idea what that word is. It was really important to my safety. Pineapples! That’s it. I don’t think we have any in the house. Dammit.

Okay. This is a kitchen. Checklist? Window R(check). Stove R(check). Sink R(check). Counter R(check). Stove R(check). Shelves R(check). Dishes R(check). Refrigerator R(check). Food R(check). There were a lot of rooms in this place. You made it to the right one on the first try. I am so proud of you. Now that we are certain this is a kitchen, let’s get started. On the counter there is wheat bread. Oh snap, I forgot the small table. I gotta add that to the checklist next time. There are crackers, chips, cookies, and fruit. In the refrigerator there is cheese, leftovers, salami, and more fruit. In the freezer there are microwavable meals and ice cream. THERE IS NOTHING TO EAT IN THIS HOUSE. I HATE IT HERE! WHO LIVES LIKE THIS? I saw a pack of noodles from the corner of my eye. That’s perfect! The high salt content in the noodles will attack the drugs and make me sober? Less high? What’s the word for that? Un-high? Re-normalized? Stabilized?





[1] Lean On Me. PG-13. Drama/Action. March 1989.

No comments:

Post a Comment