Monday, March 16, 2020

Sh!t Smart People Say


Act like you’ve been somewhere before. #Unc

I guess reading makes you smart. #SisNo.4

Two very smart people said things that, at first hearing, don’t seem too smart. But follow me. I’m going somewhere and I hope you’ll join me.

I am finally old enough to chaperone field trips y’all! My Uncle allowed me to chaperone his sixth-grade field trip, and the joy I felt at being that type of responsible adult? Unspeakable. Upon arriving to the location, the kids went crazy. Y’all. I mean, they had just calmed down from the fact that they weren’t riding on a big yellow school bus, but one of those luxury transit vehicles. With air conditioning, electrical outlets, tables, and a movie showing on the drop-down screens. 

My Uncle leaned into me and said, They act like that because they ain’t never been nowhere. Now you and your sisters, y’all been somewhere before. I took his remarks as slight annoyance, as most teachers are, when their class is overly exuberant about something. Also, I recognized that, while I don’t identify with traditionally privileged communities considering my humble beginnings, I was, well, kinda hella privileged (AF) – when, of course, you make all those humble considerations. Unc filled in the gaps my parents could not. Museums. Skating Rinks. Trolly Cars. College Campuses. Beaches. Amusements Parks. Road Trips. He would show up at the house, tell my mother to get us ready, and we would be in the streets with him, being somewhere. Even if it was the first time, and even though we were excited to be there, we always had this feeling that we were supposed to be there.

I mean, even my getting lost, was not about being afraid. I would be lost, walking around, taking it all in. The terror and horror of never seeing my family would not come to me until the moment I was found. And even then, there was no incredible revelation. I would be like, Aw, man. That would have sucked. And, get lost at the very next place.

Now, I get there are social, political, and economic structures that explain those kid’s behavior. I’m not judging them. Honestly, I’m glad they can say that they’re going places. (I just wish their own Uncles will take them! I’on care that’s yo’ teacher. He was my Uncle first!) I just didn’t realize, that, perhaps walking around UCLA’s campus like I owned it, came from every conscious and unconscious learning experience of having been somewhere. Or, that upon learning everything I learned there, I learned the devastating brutality of my ancestor’s building this of country. So, UCLA is like both ours, but I only get to wear it sometimes. #mygrandmamagavemethatchain

My sister called me, frustrated by a recent racist classroom experience. One in which her instructor said something so blatantly racist, that her immediate reaction was to pack up her belongings, leave the class, and wait for the next one to start. And because we’re smart kids and like to learn, she obviously did this from the front row of the classroom as the class debated the physical differences of the Black race, making them anatomically predisposed to athletic endeavors.

Y’all. What year is it? Because I may or may not have questions depending on your response.

In our venting, we somehow got on the topic of books, to which she said, I guess reading makes you smart. By the end of the conversation, she agreed that perhaps that sounded silly. But when I thought about it, she was right. It’s just a guess. I’m sure that instructor technically read things to be issued the academic certification to prepare teachers to be culturally sensitive to their students (this whole situation is laughable), but Class, I ask you, did the instructor’s reading make her own self smart?

This is all on the heels of that meme going around about that personal pan pizza reading challenge. When we were kids, we would go to the public library (not even a quarter-mile away from our house) and participate in those summer reading challenges. My sisters and I would finish them so quickly, that we wondered if we would ever figure out the challenge. It’s a book. You read it. When you finish it, you know things. Then you read another. We answered our questions with encyclopedias. We stumped librarians, teachers, and our parents with our ability to analyze information and transition it to different contexts. And this wasn’t some superior knowing or anything like that. We just had different kinds of questions because we read things…and acted like we had been places. (seeing that reading can take you places, it wasn't that hard an act)

It’s 2020 after all (about those questions I now have). You can put on a headset in the comfort of your own home and wifi, and literally go somewhere. Without transitioning time zones. Having not earned a single frequent flyer mile. And summa’yall can’t act like you been somewhere before. I mean, you spend 75% of your day looking at all the places other people went on social media and you can’t even act like it with the pictures right in front of you. I thought pictures made it real? You read the captions on the post, and I would have guessed that reading made you smart, but I’m not so sure.

My degrees are hanging on the wall of my family home, and nowhere else. Not because of my desire, but at the kindly worded threat request of my parents. Many people use those types of things to signify their aptitude. They’re not wrong, technically’ish. It’s just that if you have ever walked into any place I have lived or worked, you saw pictures of all the places I’ve been, and the books I have or will read. Those were always the indicators of my intellectual capabilities.

At least the only ones that mattered to me.

Also, we might need to start that reading challenge back up. I want some RoundTable.

How many books I gotta read? When I gotta finish? (you know we gotta adjust the number of books and timeline to account for summa’yall needing glasses and naps and whatnot) Who got me?

What I’m reading: Glow by Jessica Maria Tuccelli

Where I’m going: Montgomery, AlabamaSelma to Montgomery 51 Mile Relay After I wake up? The living room. That ‘rona got a playa grounded.

What y’all reading? What room in ya’ place you going to? #BeSmart

No comments:

Post a Comment