Monday, December 1, 2014

I Gobbled My Time #TurkeyTrot #Race18Medal17

And if by gobbled one means that I gobbled everything on my plate in my own time, then yea…I gobbled my time. But, I’m thinking that’s not what they meant. Oh, okay.

Its Thanksgiving morning and I am dragging. Jesus be a fire burning in my bones…because I am COLD! Starting to remind me of that Do the Double madness. Why does it have to be so cold. This Is California!!!! *in my this is Sparta voice*

But I am out here for a great and super important reason. For two great and super important reasons, actually. #HalfMarathonInFeburary kick off run (JustBob) and #4in2014 with Angelica Rollerskates. When you’ve achieved your goal early, and there is more time, you fill that time with helping other people get to the finish. Because, lest you forget, there was a time when you were reaching for a goal, and they were there, helping you. I don’t finish, until we all finish. Which means you haven’t finished your #14in2014 at all.

START: I am so hungry. And I left my bottle of water on the counter. I am so sleepy Jesus! I didn’t even cook the full Thanksgiving meal and I am so tired. This can’t be right.

Mile 1: Crap! I started playing the wrong playlist!!! I’m all off my game this morning… This waistband holder thing is awesome. It actually feels weird not running with stuff in my hands. Why did I wait so long to get one of these?!?!

Mile 2: Okay, let’s get it. Get your head back in the game. There are still more medals to be won. Still more running to do. Still more pavement to pound. You want that sweet potato pie, dontcha? Yea… Well act like it! Run dammit! Okayee…*sniffles*

Lady to her son: I’ve got a credit card if you can find us an open Coffee Shop! Do you see one?
Me: Wait, what? She is soooo serious tho. This little boy is hella strung out on caffeine.

Mile 3: You know, there was a 5K option for today. Just saying. You could be heading home and closer to eating Thanksgiving Dinner, you know. Oh, no. You’re not about that life. You want to overachieve and whatnot. This is fun…going above and beyond your own limits. Oh, um…just hungry…checking, I mean, just checking. My feet like, hurt… What’s up with these shoes tho?

Mile 4: Mimosa Station. Are they making mimosas for runners? This by far is the GREATEST run in the history of running. I love the City of San Jose.

Mile 5: Maybe a mimosa wasn’t the best thing on an empty stomach. Maybe. Well, empty save the jelly belly energy beans I only ate because I was hungry. Been in this waist belt since Las Vegas. Tasty. You know, that was actually a really good idea! You’re so smart. Pat yourself on the back!

Mile 6: Yea, the mimosa was a bad idea. Um, like a really awful one. I, Hurt.

Mile (6)0.2: That was the fastest 0.2 miles in my life! You mean I’m finished?! You mean I actually saw the finished line and crossed it before I coughed out a lung? You mean to tell me I might have actually taking a good finish line picture?! This. Is. Amazing!

FINISH: Yes, I think I am going to eat every sweet potato pie I see. I think it, before I am *eating all the pies*. My feet hurt. *looks down at shoes*

The San Jose Turkey Trot was awesome! Aside from the cold and the unorganized starting coral for the 8 – 9 mile runners, it was fantastic! A great course through downtown. Through it did not have the crowd fanfare as most running events do, I enjoyed the quiet. The sounds of runners. The children dragging their parents at Mile 1…and parents dragging their children at Mile 5.

Palmer College of Chiropractic. Yea, I didn't try to explain this.
I started the event with Soccer Dad JustBob. He had a hundred thousand questions, wonders, statements, anxieties, observations… Just everything. And I? I was so calm. So “all-knowing” as it seemed. So ready to just get it on. I imagine I was just like him those first few running events. But too many have passed that I can’t remember any of it. I’ve done just enough to be settled. I am incredibly thankful that people run “with” me. That they trust me, no matter how crazy it sounds or feels to them.

I finished the event with Angelica Rollerskates. I patiently waited for her to finish #Race3Medal3 of her #4in2014 so that we could take a picture…so we know it’s real. I waited in the photo line for her to pick up her medal and find me. While I was there, I noticed these two older black women running who wanted to take a photo. They got a little discouraged when they saw the line. So, I casually C’d my way into their A & B conversation and invited them to join the line with me. I’m thankful for the looks on their faces as they posed for their pictures. I hope, when I reach those years, I’ll be side by side with my friend, as I am on this day, still running, still taking pictures, hair still wrapped up.

A girl can dream.


This Race: Applied Materials Silicon Valley Turkey Trot, 10K, San Jose CA
Medaled Miles to date: 99.17 miles
Total Raced Miles to date: 122.27 miles 
-3 Medals To Go ǁ 121% Complete
(Challenge Medal 4, 21 Medals ǁ 150% Complete)

No comments:

Post a Comment