Thursday, March 27, 2014

#OldManRunninLikeHella

So, I told you about the finish line, right? How we, the League (of Extraordinary Black Girls Running) finished strong together, right? It was amazing.

Well, there was something else that happened, before that amazing thing happened. Something actually kinda awful, really. As we awaited Leg 4, we cheered in the weary Leg 4’s & half and full marathoners. Those who came out to the streets of Oakland to find their individual greatness, right? Many of whom, like me, at so many races, showed up alone, pinned that race bib to their chest in silence, hit the shuffle on the playlist eyes closed, and waited for the signal to start stretching to keep warm. Eventually, they would cross the finish line, be adorned with their medal, and celebrate in the quiet of their smart device, hashtagging every single moment.

That old man had hella "umph"!
Yea, they were there. In all ages, shapes, and sizes. Like this one elderly Caucasian man. This elderly man who was finishing the full marathon. He was creeping in to the finish line, still moving, slightly hunched. One foot in front of the other. One arm swing after the next. We went wild! “You Got This!” … “You’re Almost There!” … “Get Your (Eternal) Glory!” … “WoooHooo!” Endless clapping. When I tell you those Black Girls who were shaking their pompoms for #TeamTallsAndSmalls were great, honey chile, they were GREAT! They made every runner feel like the winner they proved themselves to be!

So back to someone’s Grandpa I was talking about. He was one of the many runners we cheered in. Like I said, creeping in, slightly slouched. Well, he looked dog tired. And I wondered if he would make it. However, we were literally maybe 500 feet from the finish line, so I didn’t think anything of it. I was ready to fix my gaze upon the next runner, but I could not take my eyes off of him. I wanted to see him finish. I wanted to see him be great just like I did at the end of Leg 2. Be hella great.


And in slow motion, it happened. He slowly slouched and crept in just to the spot needed for gravity to do the rest. He fell, hard to the pavement, collapsing just a few hundred feet from the spot where we generally expect most people to collapse after 26.2 miles. Cries for medics, help and assistance were instantaneous. Spectators came out to the street to surround him, so that incoming runners wouldn’t run into him.

This was about the same time Leg 4 (Small 2) was nearing the finish. It was time for me to run in with the team. Our friends yelled and signaled me, breaking my trance. And I left that moment, that sight, to return back to my life.

The health care staff assisted the elderly marathoner across the finish line and took care of him. We assisted ourselves to chicken and waffles.

I selfishly thought about that man today. What if it were me? I mean it is a real possibility. I push myself to limits. I am never really 100% sure about this at the start. But that will to finish? It’s strong, yo. Hella strong. I’ve said to myself thousands of times “Man, forget this, I’m done.” But oddly enough, I’m saying that and moving forward. I have yet to say that and stop. Or turn back. Or quit. It is quite possible that I might fall to the pavement. Hello, I drink (sometimes) the night before races. I’m pretty sure they advise against that in Runner’s World Magazine. Sometimes I want to finish so bad, I forget to hydrate, or power through cramps when I should just take a break, or do double days in the heat – like I’m getting a scholarship for this or something?!?! #putmeincoach

And what happens if I fall to the pavement? For whatever reason. If this were my running will and testament, it would read, “Whatever you do, before you do it, make sure I finish. Give me the oxygen from the other side of the finish line.

I know that older man runner felt the same way. Medical attention is important, but he came there for that medal.

I did too. There’s a tiny *miniscule* part of me that is so super cool with leaving Oakland without a medal. I can remember the vision of him crossing the finish and getting his. Seeing that kind of commitment in real life was priceless. How the entire world conspired to make sure that he started and finished right in front of me #alchemy. To make sure he found his greatness. Hella Greatness.

I needed that.

No comments:

Post a Comment