Monday, March 24, 2014

I RUN…AND STUFF: Race 6, (no) Medal 5

Yea, you saw those parenthesis right. There was a race. A race that had a medal. Race, with a medal, that I did not get. But just like one monkey don’t stop no show, no one (another) race without a medal won’t stop me from regaling you with my tales from the pavement. The pavement which happened to be in the hood. Tales from the hood(ed) pavement.

And by hood, I mean Oakland. I had friends from Sactown, the Bay Area, and back down coming to do this with me. You know? That League of Extraordinary Black Girls Running, better known as, #TeamTallsAndSmalls!

And today’s (no) medal challenge? Oakland. In the morning. Hella early.

As the first 3 legs of the most amazing relay team got prepared to start and shuttle to starts, we saw something amazing. Black Girls. Black Girls that Run taking a picture. A group picture. Hella Black Girls. That’s when Leg 3 looked over at me, and we agreed. We Run “and stuff”…but them? They Run. Period. #motivation

START: You know, at 7:00am, the sun isn’t really up. I actually didn’t see the start line. But my girl CJC #LegOne #GreenOne #TallOne did! Go Girl!

           LEG ONE, 6.2 miles – Miles 1 to 6.2: As I waited for Leg One’s arrival, I got to know (kinda) some folks on their way to hell. I mean, to the Leg 2 part of the course. You know, the part of the course that traverses the depths of hell? Anyway, this chick, one of those #ImSeriousAboutThisBlackGirlRunninIsh gets on the shuttle. She was like, Fck you Leg 2! I’on care about your inclines, your elevation or your gottdamn mountain! I’on give a damn ‘bout no hill. And just sat down. On the shuttle. I mean school bus #howdidweeversit3toaseat – taking us to Rockridge BART. I was afraid to talk to her.

           Minutes later, a lone runner passes. Passes, in under 30 minutes. As in, he passed 6.2 inclining miles in under 30 minutes. #icant #noseriously,iactuallycant

You want me, to run that? FOH! #iHateOakland
         LEG TWO, 6.6 miles – Miles 6.2 to 12.8

Mile 6.2 to 7: Where is that WTF is this ISH meme that LLW is always posting? I know this was the elevated leg of the race, but damn?! Can we ease a sista into this? #nope

Mile 7 to 8: Can you catch a cab from here? I mean, the freeway is RIGHT THERE #incliningstill

Mile 8 to 9: *reply to CJC’s text* “It hurts.” #MoreInclines

Mile 9 to 10: This. Cannot. Be. My. Real. “I paid money to do this.” Life. #didImentionthatthiswastheelevatedpartofthecourse

Mile 10 to 11: *reply to CJC’s text* “I hate Oakland.”

Mile 11 to 12: I’m not running up another damn incline. That’s it. I’m being hazed. Hazed for damn medals. #STILLGOINGUPYONDER

        *passes the Temple at the top of the mountain top* Oh Father God In Heaven we’re going down! Finally! Where is my “Jesus Saves When Sallie Mae Withdraws” playlist?!

Mile 12 to 12.8: I got this. I can make it. I’m almost there. I quit.
Syreeta, thank you. *she runs remaining part of the leg in with me to the exchange…I almost cried #almost*

           LEG THREE, 7.0 miles – Miles 12.8 to 19.8: Just leave me here. Yes, right here at this freeway underpass. There is nothing left of me that could be of any use – to anyone. This was a really bad idea. Why did they listen to me? Am I even still in Oakland? I really feel like this is somewhere else. And where, Oh where, Is my damn medal? It’s at the start? O_o #TheHell?! I mean c’mon!

Wait. What’s that? We going to McDonalds? Oh, I got a little time for that. #fries

            LEG FOUR, 6.4 miles – Miles 19.8 to 26.2: This whole experience was amazing! I wish I could have been faster, but at least I was here. And the homey is about to beast this last leg. I know that because she’s hungry. And literally nothing comes between her and her next meal. So she’s basically going to invoke her inner African and run these last 6 miles in like 12 minutes.

FINISH: The team that drinks mimosas together, finishes races together. Let’s cross this line. Together.

That was the most amazing part for me – running through the finish together. We had our individually celebrated moments at our starts. Welcomed in to our exchanges, and were pampered by the BEST cheering squad on the East, West, North, or South side of the Bay Area! We waited patiently for our 4th leg to arrive, to make us a whole team again. And each of us jogged our way in with her. #FinishStrong

In that moment it didn’t bother me, like it does right now (and for many days after) that I was #HellaSlowRunningLikeHella in Oakland, or that people were fussy waiting to eat, or looking for me, or ready to leave, or that I might potentially miss the UCLA vs SFA #bigsistervslittlesister battle for a spot in the Sweet Sixteen. In that moment, I was running with people who thought enough of me to be part of something much bigger than I could have possibly imagined #14in2014.

And I was sure to thank each of them.

Over chicken, waffles and bougie mimosas #champagne&sparkingcitrus.


Today’s Race: Leg 2, 6.6miles, Oakland Marathon Relay, Oakland, CA
Medaled Miles to date: 30.17 miles

Total Raced Miles to date: 33.27miles
9 Medals To Go ǁ 36% Complete

2 comments: