Monday, March 10, 2014

#RUNLIKEHELLA


charisma noun /cha-ris-ma kəˈrizmə/
1a divinely conferred power or talent.
2the ability to talk three of your friends via email to pay you to pay someone else $65.00 (+taxes +team uniform-you don’t get to select-fees) to get up at 7:30am and run more than 6 miles on a marathon relay team in the City of Oakland and go to work the next day.

Because if you want to identify three Black women to pay someone they don’t know run around the City of Oakland on a Sunday morning, you better have something like charisma. Or a medal. Or a mimosa.

Basically.
We are 13 days away from my first Marathon. This marathon happens to not be a marathon at all, but a 4-person marathon relay team. Because if you have 26.2 miles to run in Oakland, and you don’t have a car, you better have some friends to help. As much as I am into this running thing, I am not 100% sold on running 26.2 miles by myself, on the same day, in the same race. I am not so sure about that one #2015maybe. So until then, I pray all my marathons come with at least a 3 piece leg option. #popeyes #strawberrysoda

I am no stranger to teamwork. After all there are seven of us in my family. There were not too many things that could be done alone in our house on Baylor Street. As such, I have assembled the proverbial League of Extraordinary Black Girls Runnin… Allow myself (and me, and I) to reintroduce us’selves to you…


Leg One: Getting this party started is the friend you wish you had but I ain’t sharing. No ma’am! I promise I’m doing everything in this life to get into heaven on some of her residual goodness. The smile alone is going to have Peter asking Paul to get Luke & John an’nem to find out her name. I don’t know why, but I personally believe that there is a special place in heaven for black female musicians. The good ones are so rare, and honey chile she knows music! …and Jesus! #Tall1 #GreenOne

Start: STARTing Line
End: Rockridge BART Station
Distance: 6.2 miles (uphill)

Favorite Memory: There are many. Like her Sangria. Listen, that Sangria right there will have you forgetting stuff you never remembered was first, in the second place. It would be a favorite memory, if I could remember more than the fact that I had the Sangria #butthatMadDog2020tho #neverforget. Anyway, we email about #14in2014 all the time! Coordinating our travel, races, and awesome themed running events, right? Like this one we’ll need plane tickets for…  Well, as it goes with great ideas and limited budgets we came to realize that we might need some sponsorship for all these medals, right?

Okay. Livermore race is like $85, Shamrock is like $70 something. We need to decide and commit. There are only like 30 spots left for the Shamrock! eeeek! Yes. I was supposed to use my boobies and find us some men'folk for that urban challenge race, huh?...Izza work on that rat'naw boss!

This is getting expensive. The swag from Livermore seems better. Only 30 left??? See, the way my money is set up. Lol

We’re going to be running with no bibs on the sidewalk next to the race!

Oh no!! You ain’t getting me arrested for stealing running lol 

…email conversations later…

Did you register for the Bay Breeze 10K this weekend? Of course, I did not...yet. I am trying to now. What do you think “donation registration” means, and why would it be $89? 

I am lame, beyond words for this. I may just have to “steal” this race and run alongside of you. LOL 

Are we doing the Urban Race? Can we please get our lives? 

I would never know if she was unhappy. There is so much laughter in my pressure filled #bullying emails and her consenting responses. I couldn’t be luckier to have a person like her to share Medal Mondays and Groupon running deals with! #MyBankCardStillDoesntWorkOnGroupon #IPromiseItsReal

Leg Two: Dat’s Me Fool! #Small1 #PurpleOne

Start: Rockridge BART Station
End: 580 Underpass on Maple
Distance: 6.6 miles (uphill #fcuk)

I’ll tell you all the interesting things that you don’t know that you could probably figure out about me if you keep reading this blog or run a race with me or meet me for happy hour after Lent passes. #pressurekinda

Leg Three: …she is 40 and fabulous #IStillDontBelieveThis! Lord, you said in your will that Black Don’t Crack…and she’s a living witness. Wait, that’s not right? Is it? I missed Church last weekend for the 408k...what did yall talk about? Anyway, I hope her genetics are strong and fast, because she’s running the longest leg. And, she might actually have the longest legs on the team… #Tall2 #RedOne

Start: 580 Underpass on Maple
End: West Oakland BART Station
Distance: 7.0 miles (downhill/flat)

What I Like About Her: She is peace. Now don’t get me wrong. I am a firm believer that if -ish got real, we’d be in better hands with her than Allstate. But, she has this way about her. She can command the room with her silence, disarm you with her words, and love you with look. You don’t make choices with her, you involuntarily react. I am so comfortable being my most insecure self in her presence. There is no judgment in that space. She has those MO.m qualities I was writing about… She doesn’t push me too hard into my greatness. She just says what I need to hear in that moment to find it.

My dear, dear GirlieGurl. I’m sorry to have to be the one to tell you this, but you won't be a writer one day. You are a writer. Yesterday. Today. Tomorrow. Forever. Your blog is amazing. And I agree with Mr. 20D. Get out of your own way and soar.

You are fabulous and you’re gonna be even more fabulous as you continue to live your dreams afraid. Sometimes the fear of success is more crippling than the fear of failure. Cuz what comes next? What do you do when you have achieved your life-long goal? It’s scary. Be kind to yourself, have faith in yourself - hell, fake it til you make it - just keep pressing forward. Small progress is still progress. You know that, cuz you're a runner!!

And it’s so easy to hear that truth from her because if she hasn’t lived it, she’s running on your relay team to help you survive it. My dreams aren’t too big around her, you know? It’s like they’re so small, she wonders why I’d even waste time imagining so little? And to be that person you have to have strength and wits about you that are from a divine place.

So basically, I’m saying if Leg One’s residual holiness ain’t enough, I’m borrowing some of Leg Three’s!

Leg 4: …and bringing up the rear styling her end in a fabulous pencil skirt from the booty by beyonté line we have EBoogie aka the real donut monster aka that hilarious lady who wrote this…that only took her forever to write. Not that I would tell anyone else that it took her literally forever to write it.  #Small2 #BlueOne

Start: West Oakland BART Station
End: FINISHing Line
Distance: 6.5 miles (downhill/flat)

How’d We Meet: Wow. Atlanta: The Legend of Alicia Keykey and Beyonté. There is so much to this story, but long story not as long as it could be, she was a friend of (one of) my little sister in college at Clark Atlanta. You know, the person going through the HBCU struggle and care packages I sent, with my little sister?! The first time I came to visit, she thanked me along with my little sister for the grocery money I mailed regularly #manners #you’rewelcome. One of my first memories of her is when I braided her hair. Back when everyone thought they were fallin in and out of love, but they were really feenin’ for the dyslexic person that braided Alicia Keys’ hair with that pack of yaki #4. Yooo, really though, Alicia had all the braiders, beaders and hat stores in business. Okay, maybe I braided her hair so tight calgon couldn’t even take her away. Point is, she didn’t have to do her hair for a long time, she still had edges, and er’body wished they could get on her level. And that was how I said “thank you” (in advance), to the person who had not yet become the person who would help me rediscover myself when I would feel like all was lost years and years later. She reminded me that someone was off in California where it's never cold, ready to tell me that they love me (and lowkey wanting their hair done), when others disappeared.

The duet album is droppin soon. #aliciakeykeyANDbeyonté #getready

It's Oakland. You should probably be hella fast...
I know some really amazing people. They honor me by trusting me with this. With supporting me in this. With joining me in this task. Hell, believing that I could even do this. I have no idea what I will become after all of this, and they are choosing to run with me anyway. The gratitude I am filled with when I think about what they are doing for/with me is overwhelming. Like seriously. There aren’t enough words, posts or pictures to caption, capture or tell it all! #justcanttellit

That’s faith. Blind faith running. In the City of Oakland.


*shots fired* #literally

No comments:

Post a Comment