Tuesday, September 16, 2014

I Ran 2/3rds of The Bay, #Race11Medal10

…and in late race posting news, while I was busy not writing on these interents about the life and times of a runner in the making, I’ve been in my feelings yo, and like there was nobody to help me out them joints. Don’t get me wrong, there’s been some amazing experiences these past couple of months, but there have been levels and levels to these feelings. Levels. And levels.

Which I’ll get you caught up on, eventually. I tend to tell on myself, because well, I’m a writer, and I’m not all that creative, and the stuff I make up isn’t nearly as interesting as the mess I’m living… #thebeautifulmessIveMadeOfThings #withasideofbacon

So, as you now, it’s all about this #14in2014, right? Right. Well, I am smack dab in the middle of two challenge series. #IRunTheBay and #IRunTheCoast. I’ve ran #SanJose, and this race, #Race11Medal10 was the 2nd installment of the challenge #SanRafael. I think they meant #SanFrancisco, but it was still in the #415, so there was that.

Pre-Race Day: Okay, lemme see where this race is so I know what to do when I get off of Caltrain. Because I’m definitely taking the train to San Francisco tomorrow. *minutes later* Oh, there are other cities in the 415 besides San Francisco? Oh, okay. #SanRafael #NoCaltrainForYouBoo #YouCarpoolingWithTheHomey

Race Day: Oh, this city is nice? Where this place been all this time? I would come here but the way my skin color is set up… #WeTheOnlyPeopleWhoLookLikeUs

Start: Sure you haven’t been running because it’s hotter than an overloaded circuit in the Matrix… It’s just 3.1 miles. You got this. This course looks HELLA flat.

Mile 1: Yep, still got them. My lungs are still here. #IcantBreatheJesus

Mile 2: When White People Get Angry – starring the white people running and the white people in the cars waiting for the runners to pass because they decided to drive even though the streets have signs on them blocking them off until Noon. It’s not even 9:00am. #TheyMadTho #ItsFunnyCauseItsNotMe #TheyWantTheirStarbucks #ItsAboutToGoDown

Mile 3: Oh, so the course isn’t flat. Isn’t that lovely? Where did all the people go? Around the not-flat bend, perhaps? Perhaps.

Mile (3) 0.1: Running is stupid.

          Finish: Gimme my medal -_- I’m hungry. My chest hurts. This medal is pretty tho.

See. This is fun.
This had the makings of a super blah racing experience. However, 2 very important things happened on this day.

Not in order…So, the other part of this 5K was the Miracle Mile. There were timed miles for the various genders and age groups. Clearly the one event, regardless of medal opportunity that I would NEVER participate in. Not because I don’t have the ability to run. It’s because it would be a miracle if I came in eyeshot of those timed miles! They were hella fast. Like this one dude. He went to the start line and BEASTED that mile. Like 4:06 minutes, beasting. He crossed the finish line, took his shoes off and walked away like a boss. Do you realize how much you WOULD NOT be able to say to me if I could do something that remotely came close to that? You couldn’t read me a bedtime story. I would be just that great. And, that’s why God gave me boobies.

I gave him Medal Monday, he gave me back a reason to run.
And the race corral, where I met up with my friend and her husband. See, we’re all black girls who run. And on occasion we have family and friends who are #PeopleWhoWatchUsRun, right? Well it just so happens he got to experience our race experience in Oakland. Remember when we ran like hella?  And Oakland was hella rude and left the race medals in their office, thereby stealing my greatness?

He saw it all. Filmed some of it. Read the letter. Celebrated it. Then joined it.

I got to be part of another first experience. This is not the cherry popping kind of thing because he did not attend this with me, and um, he’s well…married and that would be rude of me to say. And wildly inappropriate. BUT, I mean I’m kinda sorta connected to the experience, so I bought the cherries… Yea, that.

He proudly wore his medal post race. He then followed it up with an epic #MedalMonday. And that’s all I ever really wanted from all of this.

Paying #MedalMondays forward.

This Race: Marin 415K & Miracle Mile, The 415K, San Rafael CA

Medaled Miles to date: 51.27 miles
Total Raced Miles to date: 64.37 miles 
4 Medals To Go ǁ 71% Complete

No comments:

Post a Comment