Wednesday, November 5, 2014

Pops! #ThatSecondLastName Oleksy-Jones

So, I struggle with sexuality. Well, not mine so much. Spoiler...I’m heterosexual. The only struggle with that is finding the person who wants to be heterosexual with me. Actually, I don’t really struggle the other side of that sexuality spectrum anymore.
.
Enter, Pops. MO.m's "hubby" in my professional life. My student affairs paterfamilias. SNJ. That second last name I never told you about. MO.m would be where my introversion, my reflection, my calm comes from. The parts of me people do not often see. Pops is genetically (really, not really) responsible for the GirlieGurl many of you have come to know and love! The laughter, the excitement, the willing to try anything at least one, the hosting dinner parties and events...All of that extroversion is Pops. Totally Pops.

There is no real appropriate place to start when it comes to us. I know, though, that he would begin the story in 2000. UCLA RA Training. Me and my AT&T Nokia phone. Damn shame... I’ve never been smarter than these damn phones.

He was my first hall director. My first supervisor at UCLA. The first UCA alum in my life... And my first openly gay friend. Crazy that I actually know my "first" gay friend, right? Right. #AnotherCherryPopped.

Anyway, UCLA. SNJ. ORL. Delta Terrace. Talk about amazing times. Rewriting my incident reports because I couldn’t control the angry black RA inside of me. Some of the best meals (I cooked for him) in his apartment. Amazing holidays celebrated in the 4th floor of the staff building. Driving his car like it was my own. Being called out in Covel Commons with Shellie. I can still hear him calling us Peacock (my wild and colorful braids) and Du Rag (Shellie always had her hair wrapped up). I wouldn’t trade a second of it.

Well, accept the one second that I would.

People on our staff team didn’t take too fondly to his leadership. I struggled a little with his sexual identity, but not so much that I could not work with him. I couldn’t see how they had an issue with him when I would get ALL the extra work! And I did the extra work without complaint. But, I suppose that made me his favorite because they complained about it to our Area Director.

Our Area Director had a “top secret but not really because I’m an informant” meeting with us. (Damn right I told SNJ about it...hello! He feeds me!). Specific people had their serious issues with commander in Delta Terrace and felt all too comfortable to speak up. I’ve never taken too kindly to this format. If you don’t have the testes or uterus to tell the person, please have several seats. In a confrontation strategy coaching counseling session. For beginners.

Then someone did it. Someone brought up my and his relationship. She’s his favorite... He doesn’t hold her accountable like he does us... She gets to do whatever she wants... *under their breath* Doesn’t she drive his car?

I had a conflict of conscious in that moment. We’re in a room talking about a man who isn’t here to defend himself. They obviously know nothing about our relationship. Which isn’t a relationship. Why are they looking at me? He is a gay man and I’m the daughter of a preacher, and a Christian. And people know that about us. What am I supposed to do?

I thought about it for a while. Then I realized exactly who he was. He was my supervisor, a good (albeit crazy) man, a Cowboy’s Fan #WeDemBoys, a generous person, a gay man...and my friend. And dammit, NOBODY says nothing bad about my friends!!

I began to speak. And with every word, every You're hella moded statement and …as a matter of fact accusatory finger point, everyone else begin to have a crisis of conscience. Mine was gone. Me and the other RAs were never the same after that day. And he and I changed a little too. Only it was me who did the changing. He was the same ole guy. Pops.

Before I made it to Westwood, I would have told you that homosexuality is wrong and I’m not sure I could be friends with someone who lives that life or identifies that way. I could not see how it could be. Not with the way my Bible reads, and how my Daddie preaches. And it’s not even about condemnation; it’s just looking at it from a "what’s right and what’s wrong" perspective, based upon what I believe.

While in Westwood, I made my peace with it all. I was not his favorite. I was just his. To love, to care for, to care about, to teach, to befriend, to develop, to watch Alias & Cowboy games with, and to nag. When I was hungry, he bought groceries and I made us dinner. When I needed to get to the Rose Bowl for the game, he made me take the car to get an oil change days before, then drop him off hours early and bring back lunch – for everyone. When I needed a place to live over the summer, he took me in – no questions asked and no rent required. And when I need someone to look out for me because I was (am) so naive, he anticipates all my needs.

Pops and MO.m took me wine tasting in Napa. You should see them together. How much they care for each other. All of the memories they collected over the years. The shared hopes for our individual futures. There with me, in Napa, drinking wine. There, with me, teaching me about wine. And I wasted every dime they spent on me. We went to some of the best wineries in Napa, because we’re bougie, and sampled California's greatest bottled creations. I had my thizz face on the entire time. Hated it! Even the champagne. I didn’t realize just how much I missed our family time...our together time. Going out to dinner at fancy places I could not afford on financial aid, holidays in the penthouse with that sinful mac & cheese...and good heavens Sweet Tea!

I see now, just how limited my understanding of love was... I love people better because of him. Anyone who has ever received any measure of love from me knows something about Pops. There are days when I am certain, especially at work, that I won’t make it. But Pops is hella strict, and he just won’t allow it. Even those times I fall from grace...as all aspiring earthy angels do. He is always there, waiting for my wings, so that he can catch me, dust me off, and give me enough air to fly again. And his being gay may have something to do with it. Or nah. Point is, it doesn’t matter anymore. It doesn’t make me any less Christian. It doesn’t hinder my walk or relationship with God. My faith is the stronger for it. I believe a little more because of him.

No comments:

Post a Comment