Wednesday, January 28, 2015

Well Done. Well Done, My Friend #LetThyWillBeDone

My friend revealed to me one of his fears. Getting older. I thought, of all the things in the world, why would that be his fear? He is physically strong, mentally strong, and is always in such a good mood. And honestly, he doesn’t look his age now, so by the time he gets to the age he fears, he’ll look 20 years younger than it.

So, I did what I do best. Gave him all the reasons why he shouldn’t fear getting older. As I spoke to him, I realized, I was trying to convince myself to be unafraid. Because I fear it too. But for far different reasons.

Death. I am afraid, because the older I get, the more I have to face the death. People are leaving me in this life, yo. And since no man knows the time, it’s always going to be a surprise, a shock, a something that’s so unexpected, that I will almost always, not be ready.

And I certainly wasn’t on this day.

Someone I did not spend a ton of time with, went on to see the King. True to my fashion, I bottled it up and went directly to the silence of my mind #hiding #BuildingWallsInside #KeepingTheWorldFromComingIn #InTheShadowsFeelingBlue. You would have thought that one of my cousins passed away. Like one of them, I woke up alongside Christmas morning opening presents in Texas. I felt energy leave my body. Like, I actually felt it leave. I weighed less. And I knew in that moment that I would miss the heaviness for all the rest of my days. I sat in my office, at the computer stunned. Knowing that I should probably grieve but not sure what exactly that meant in the moment.

See, if you knew this man, then you probably felt some of what I felt. Regret for not spending more time with him. Pissed that you didn’t reach out that one time he randomly crossed your mind. Wondering if you were almost as kind to him as he had always been to you – knowing that he was indeed more kind, but hoping you were almost as good in return. And why? Why him? What in the world did he do that required his life?

Then, you realized that you answered your question. Without knowing a single of his flaws (I know that they were there, without knowing a single one of them) you know that he was good anyway. I have literally never witnessed this man in a bad mood, speak a cross word, or take a picture without showing his pearly whites. Literally all of his smiles have an ageless joy in them! Wise. Smart. Happy. Giving. Encouraging. He always knew the right thing to say. Like Hell Naw! when I asked him if he was going to ice skate with us… Loving to a fault. Especially us Black folk. Yessir, he loved his people. Our lives really did matter to him, no matter what we did with them. In the time that I knew him, I never needed his help, yet I am absolutely certain that if I called him in need, he would have been there. How crazy is that? To know that to be true. #That’sFaith #BelievingInTheUnseen
#GodRevealsThingsToMeAsItypeSometimes #There’sABlessingForMeInThisBlogSomewhere

And then to know all of that is gone. That this life is less because he is no longer with us. That because so much was given to us in one man, that much more is required of us. To remember him. To speak of him. To be kind to someone else, because we cannot return the kindness to him. To love others who don’t deserve it, because he cared for us when we were undeserving, and kinda ungrateful. Because much like us children of (great) men, we friends of (great) men have a legacy to continue. We have to be more because they were. Everything about that is hard to do, because they’re not here to encourage us along the way.

We have to do it anyway.

Someone once asked me who I was. And without thinking I replied, I am the sum of all the goodness, all the kindness, all the love that others have bestowed upon me. This started with my parents, creating the vessel and showing me the first acts of love. It continued with family, with friends, and with the amazing people I have met in these 30 some odd years.

And him. Some of who I am is who he was. And so it seems that I horcruxed a little bit of him too, like Daddie's bible.

I gotta believe You know what You’re doing Lord. I just gotta. I’m not sure any of this will make any sense if I don’t believe You know what You’re doing.

Rest well. I just gotta believe that my friend is resting well. Dwell well, Reg. Dwell. #WellDone Absolutely goodness, and mercy, followed him...all the days of his life. 

No comments:

Post a Comment