Monday, July 20, 2015

PRing in San Diego #ItWasEpicHomey

Someone once said that leadership wasn’t about being better than everyone else. But rather, being better than a former self. Your former self, specifically. If one is better than they once were, they may perhaps possess what it takes to be a leader. Humph. Well, perhaps…

So… Year Two of this #EpicSummerRun and I have returned to the precise location where I did just that. I, just a year ago, almost to the day, realized that I was better than my former self. Only I had no idea that was even happening. I had no idea it was a thing. Uh, you know why I was there… #Medals

As such, I PR’d my half marathon time. I PR’d that very first half marathon (ever) time by 32 minutes #Vegas2011 #MedalessMonday #NeverForget and that last half marathon #Vegas2013 before #EpicSummerRun2014 by 17 minutes. I killed those Rock n Roll Las Vegas times! I suppose that I figured that I would be just a runner. Definitely not a good one. Not a runner I would describe as bad either #ImSoPerfect but never one that would be accomplished in a way that a PR would mean something.

Gurl, bye.

There are too many unattended happy hours and concerts in the world to try to be actually great on the pavement. I need more time for all of this.

So, in all the attempting to no be great, I found some greatness. Because, I’m a leader. The Runleader, actually. I kind of do this for fun. And, I encourage other people to do it for (my) fun too. Because, that’s definitely a thing.

I am the Runleader. I didn’t really put much emphasis into that running part, but I have been all over the leading #ImALeo #ItComesNaturally. Encouraging my people to get out there and run! From the runners who don’t know that they are really great runners, to the runners who are mostly walkers, but jog sometimes – eff you! They are great too! Watching them start. And meeting their new selves when they finish. Sore. Tired. Weary. Mentally Spent. Smiling. Medal around the neck. Complete.

I take so much from them. And they have no idea just how much it sustains me. But they don’t always get to see that though. The Runleader has much to do. But, while I’ve been leading, I’ve been doing some running myself.

…and, well, err, shaved 6 minutes off my “fastest” time…no matter how long or short it took me to haul ass 13.1 miles…6 gottdamn minutes is a big deal! 6 minutes? 6 minutes? Not 5 minutes, or 4 minutes, but 6 minutes? *in my A.I. voice* …do you know what could happen in 6 minutes?

You could…
…walk into a 7-11 twice, make a cherry cola slurpee, by a $2 scratch off for your (race)wife, say Hey to the clerk, remember that you forgot to get a ginger ale – grab one, then go back to the ginger ale’s because you want to confirm the price, then you realize you can get 2 of them for $2.22 – and you know your (race)wife is going to say something about spending almost $2 for 1 when you could have paid an additional $0.22 and gotten 2 of them, and you ain’t trying to hear that, so you grab another one, pay for it, get back in your car, and have like a minute to spare.

6 minutes??? Even damn Doug E. Fresh knew what a big deal 6 minutes was…even he needed a 6 minute alert so he could be “on”…6 MINUTES! He was like, Bruh…let me know when I got 6 minutes. I wanna make sure I’m ON. And they were like, Cool…no problem Doug.

Since leadership is about being better than the person you once were, maybe I wasn’t much of a leader because I sure as the sun is shining in the middle kingdom did not expect this. I was like legit surprised when I saw the unofficial time posted. I know Alicia & Dr. Splits were thinking, wheeetttt is wrong with her? because that scream came from my soul like Shug singing for that redemptive hug from Daddie #GetYourHealingShug #IWasThereForThat. Like I just knew that it wasn’t going to be better than anything I’ve done. And I was already looking for excuses while the pages loaded. I’m supposed to be great, but I just “knew” I wasn’t on this day. My knee waasss hurtingI didn’t get enough sleepI didn’t get a good pre-run stretch in… Perhaps those things were true, but were they the real reasons? All of these obstacles, known and unknown, but really the real one… Me. And how I feel about her. Myself with these issues, yo.

And perhaps you too. It could be running. Or maybe it’s some other form of elite athleticism #ImASeriousAthlete, or something else. But why is it, often on the brink of success, we choose to steal our own greatness? I need only think it and I could be it. I could be the one. But the thought of it is so far beyond me, it’s like I’d need to daily drink the blood of a unicorn to sustain it. Or go on a Narnian quest to find it. It requires something I don’t already possess. And it’s so perfect, so great, so rare, that it can’t be found in any old place, right? Right.

Everything about that is accurate. It does require something that I don’t possess – Confidence. That thing isn’t just in any old place. It’s inside of me, lost in my brokenness. Where all my failures, unlearned lessons, and mistake keep me hostage like hugs in San Diego #someonewillseewhatididthere. With just a little courage, I could unbind my confidence and be great.

Until then, I’ll just keep showing up. You won’t believe how hard that is to do, even after all of this running. Occasionally, I’ll do something a great person would do, you know? Like PR. Be great on accident. Or I’ll get a little help from the universe. Willing me to be great and whatnot.

I’ll keep being the Runleader the crew needs, until I can be the confident runner I need.

What you still need to know is this: before a dream is realized, the Soul of the World tests everything that was learned along the way. It does this not because it is evil, but so that we can, in addition to realizing our dreams, master the lessons we've learned as we've moved toward that dream. That's the point at which most people give up. #TheAlchemist

No comments:

Post a Comment