Wednesday, June 4, 2014

#EpicSummerRun, Race10Medal9

It. Was. Epic.

Unfortunately, it didn’t start out that way. Even back at the planning stages this wasn’t fun. It was a struggle to even decide if I was going to do this one. The year started out as me running alone for the most part. Now it’s almost June and I have tons of friends participating in running events. Like the Diva's Half Marathon & 5K  in San Francisco. Which just so happened to be the same day as the Rock 'n Roll Half Marathon in San Diego.

A very important strategic decision. Do I run with friends and be a Diva, and get a boa, and take a picture with a sexy fireman? Or, do I find my own way to #14in2014 and not only get my 9th medal, but begin the #iRunTheCoast challenge #CaliCombo…which comes with an awesome challenge medal?

The answer is to always go your own way. Make your own path. Find your own self. #SanDiego

So, I found a couple of Southern California friends to meet me in San Diego for an #epicsummerweekendrunning. Only, one friend got stuck at the airport in the Bay Area for 3 hours, and the others couldn’t meet me until the next day.

But it got epic!! A wonderfully set up race expo. Free goodies – like always – Rock ‘n Roll folks never disappoint. Happy people everywhere. Literally everyone was happy about their decision to pay an obscene amount to run that next morning at an unholy hour. Hella Excited.

…and nervous. I was actually kind of afraid! It’s crazy when I think about it. I’ve clearly done these running events before…and survived them. But why now? Why the nerves? I suppose maybe I still don’t believe in the legend of me I am making through #14in2014. Guess I have to keep running until I’m convinced. There’s no one more committed to a cause than a convinced skeptic, right?

Well, it is the morning of the race. After a night of reunions, pasta, annoying singing at dinner, room service, lounging, laughter and swapping secrets, I rolled out of bed. My first words?

I’m too tired. I can’t do this. Please don’t make me go. …and that fool didn’t even respond. I think he grunted. I just shook my head and continued getting dressed. Before I left out, I had one request. When you guys wake up, bring my race bag. It’s right here – the room key is on top of it. Don’t forget it!

Okay. #LiesToldWhileSleeping

Hotel to Balboa Park: OMG! OMG! OMG! I have to get there! I have to see SPL before he takes off into greatness in the Marathon! OMG! He is going to KILL it!

Corral 3: OMG! OMG! OMG! We need to take a picture! Kisses! Good Luck! *he is soooo stinking cute in those running shorts*

Thirty Minute Wait to Half Marathon Corral opening: This was not a good idea. *text to #conferencehubby* Don’t forget my bag!

Start: Welp. I paid for this. Might as well…

Get thee behind satan! I'm running! *make mental note of the address*
Mile 1: This city is actually pretty nice. I could see myself living here.

Mile 2: The people are so nice! Awwww, lookie at the cheerleaders!

Mile 3: Really? Wings & Ribs joint? Are you kidding me? It smells good though. #IGotALittleTimeForThat #OhWaitImRunningAHalfMarathon #Dammit #TheSwindle #DontForgetTheAddress

Mile 4: Oh, no thank you sir, I don’t think I should have a Stoli Vodka and Cranberry. I have to run. You know, like all these other people out here. It’s kind of a thing. But your generosity will be remembered on this great day sir. #iwitnessedkindnessinSD #PayItForward #ARoundOnMeLater #ImightaHadaDrinkIfThatWasCirocTho

Mile 5: I wonder if that fool remembered my bag. I can’t wait for those recovery beans. They are soooooo good!

Mile 6: I signed up to do this 3 more times this year. That doesn’t seem like the smartest idea.

Mile 7: *reading the cool words in chalk on the pavement* Run like someone called you a jogger. I think that’s supposed to be an insult to make me run faster. It kinda feels like a compliment.

Mile 8: Only 4 more miles to go. I mean that’s not a lot. #LiesToldWhileRunning

Mile 9: I hope I don’t miss Aloe Blacc. I swear I’m moving so damn slow!

Mile 10: *sign* Half Marathon stay right. Marathon to the left. *drifts to the left running* Um…where in the entire HAYLE are you going? *drifts back right*

Mile 11: *text to #conferencehubby* Mile 11. It hurts.

Mile 12: I quit! I Quit! I QUIT!!! This is so stupid. My feet are killing me. I really wanted to wear my Steve Madden’s tonight!

Mile 13: I’m never going to run again. My circulatory system, my toenails, my braids and my hypothalamus all hate me.

Finish: OMG! There he is! Is. That. A. Sign. With. My. Name. On. It. OMG. Keep. Running. You’re. Not. Finished. Yet.

I have to find them! I have to find them! OMG! He told me he had a surprise for me, but there was no way I could have anticipated that! I have the sweetest #conferencehubby In. The. Entire. Galaxy! He was so excited to catch my gaze as I finished the longest 0.1 mile in my life.

I got my medal, my cold towel, took my finish line photo, and grabbed every piece of sustenance they handed me. Always moving forward, towards the exit, to get to my friends. To thank them. To hug them. To give them all this crap in my hands before my muscles gave out #thelacticacidstruggle.

And there they were waiting beyond the trolley crossing. So happy to see me. So ready to find the rest of our friends to congratulate them. So ready to have brunch. Sans my post-race bag. But how could I be upset. They just made my day!

We found our friend SPL who beasted the full marathon. Made it to the free beer station. And got to see Aloe Blacc #he’sthemanhe’sthemanhe’stheman in Petco Park do what he does sooo well. I felt like the woman! I was the woman. I am the woman.

Everything about Rock ‘n Roll San Diego was amazing! If you are looking for an awesome half marathon experience it comes with my highest recommendation. Unlike #StripAtNight, RnRSD has awesome weather, great location, beaches everywhere!, well mapped and marked race route, lots of entertainment along the course, the entire CITY of San Diego cheering you on, and is totally family friendly. Though you begin running before the sun, and before Jesus has a chance to wake up the rooster to crow at dawn, you won’t regret it! Oh, and bring your friends with you! It makes a great trip all the more fantastic.

I am the woman who set out January 1st to earn 14 race medals. I am the woman who is at the middle of the year and more than halfway to 14. I am the woman becoming a legend. My skepticism is fading…

Word of advice though. After running 13.1 or 26.2 miles, maybe you should not go out dancing to semi-ratchet music that you #CCOD that you know most of the words to #ThatsMyJammmmm. I #cantconfirmordeny that this happened and that I maybe walking is a remarkably difficult thing to do, even days later. #CCOD

This Race: Half Marathon, Rock ‘n Roll San Diego, San Diego CA
Medaled Miles to date: 48.17 miles

Total Raced Miles to date: 61.27miles 
5 Medals To Go ǁ 64% Complete

No comments:

Post a Comment