Friday, June 26, 2015

Epic. Summer. PR. #andBacon

…because what’s the point of running a repeat race if it doesn’t count for something? ~Dr. Splits on Trees & Alicia Keykey

They were right. What’s the point? If you’re going to run a repeat race, make it worth the #15in2015 #2015kIn2015. What’s left on the list? Well, I need the miles because I’m so behind. Okay, got it. What else? The only viable options for this race was to run with a new friend, or PR. And since we know I’m not about to PR, I need to make me a new friend… Or perhaps find a race to run on Monday and do back to back races.

Right. Make a new friend. #RunTwerkDrink(Eat)Repeat

At the Race Expo I did everything but make a new friend. I got my jelly belly energy and recovery beans, took my #EpicSummerRun race bib photo, and I sampled all the healthy serious runner nutritional things. Because, well, I’m a serious athlete. I even took the tour of the new #RnRHeavyMedals! OMG! I want them ALL! Perused the course map *looks the same as last year* and shaded a couple of classes people.

But, beach. So we left. And I did not make a single new friend. Ugh.

That’s okay though. I’m in San Diego, and I am going to have an amazing time. That’s more than enough. I’ve got half a year left to be great. I’ll be great then. Today, I’m chillin’.

And that was the plan. Show up, run a good race, then binge on wine and bacon. Because, Temecula and Slater's 50/50.

START: *marathon start* Dammit! I gotta pee. I hate these damn porta-potties. *my knee hurts* #JesusBeABalmInGilead

Mile 1: I actually feel good. I honestly think this is going to be a good run. Look at me being all positive and whatnot. Go Girl. Look at God work in your life!

Mile 2: Okay, maybe this is going to just be an “okay” run. *rubs knee* But, I’m still surprisingly positive. Go Figure?

Mile 3: That. Smells. Delicious! OMG! Who is making breakfast out here like that? Imma need a biscuit and some local honey. #allergies

Mile 4: Open Bar? For real though? You’re just going to make specialty drinks right in front of me? #TheyTriedIt

Mile 5: Shots of patron? Bruh!!!!!! C’mon legs…jog to the left just a little. Grab that cup…Remember, you gotta make a new friend! No? I gotta keep running? #ThisSucks #iHateSanDiego #andByHateImeanILoveThisPlace

Mile 6: Look at this mess. Half Marathon Relay exchange. People are finished running. And I’m out here acting like my knee don’t hurt and that refreshed runner over there doesn’t want to be my new friend.

Mile 7: Soooooo. You’re just going to pass me with a running stroller? You tried it. *turns jets on* I’m the RunLeader Dammit! Ask about me homey.

Mile 8: Okay. Maybe turning on the jets was a little premature. Lemme slow down and act like the 3 hour plus HALF of a marathon runner that likes to wear heels that I am.

Mile 9: That gottdamn hill. How in the hell did I forget about this? Fawwwwk! I quit. It’s not worth it Miss Celie.

Mile 10: This gottdamn Big 10 Water/Aid Station. No Mr. Ohio State Man, I don’t want nothing from you. #Michigan #FabFive #AllDay

Mile 11: Father God, if I don’t make it, please allow my phone batter to send a GPS signal to somebody to find my body…so I can be resuscitated and have wine with my friends.

Mile 12: That dude though. Heeeeey Bae! How You Doin??? Mr. No Shirt Running the Marathon Looking All Refreshed … while I’m over here dragging in this half looking all…oh…my…God…what…do…I…look…like? #RunToTheOtherSideOfTheStreet *prays he didn’t see me*

Mile 13: If there isn’t any chocolate milk at the finish OR if Alicia Keykey drinks it all, heads will rock and roll!!!! #seewhatididthere?

Mile 13(0.1): Welp. You tried it. Well, kinda not really, but hey, it was a good effort in running a good race. You’ll get that PR one day. But today? You’re getting wine and bacon. You did good! You iz impo’tant.
         
Finish: Awwwww… Looked at my homeys all waiting for me to finish. I luhhhh dem! Now about that wine and bacon? #ImFocusedMan #Priorities #DrinksChocolateMilk

I was pretty over this whole situation. I ran a decent race. I was in San Diego with my friends. I felt pretty good, despite my knee. I was pretty done with running in that moment, and ready to enjoy the rest of my #Racecation #Runcation.

We made it back to the hotel and began the dance of getting ready for our adventures. Out of sheer curiosity, I decided to take a look at my time to see how I did. I mean, the last #EpicSummerRun was awesome, and I ended up running my fastest time. Sure I didn’t run my fastest time today, but I probably did better than I think I did, right? I mean, I actually feel good, right?

*screams*screams*screams*MORE SCREAMS*

Yup. You guessed. It. Got that PR. By 6 minutes. 6 whole minutes.

I can’t with myself sometimes. There are all of the things to say about this. Mostly, one would think that I’ve learned by now that my subconscious’ will to be great is too strong to be anything but great.

Flawless victory on the pavement. And I had no idea I even did it.


#15ThingsIn2015 Challenge
5 new states (Louisiana – 1 down, 4 to go)
4 new friends (OldieButNewbie #RunningHubby; My Child – 2 down, 2 to go)
3 new running events (Shamrock Half; St Charles Road Race; Orange County Half – 3 down, 0 to go)
2 back-to-back running events
1 Half Marathon PR (Rock N Roll San Diego! 6 minutes! – 1 down, 0 to go)

No comments:

Post a Comment