Monday, June 15, 2015

The Path #LostAndFound #Again

You know what’s awesome about loving something? Being able to share it with people you love. Yea, the goal is that they’ll love it to. But, you’re so obsessed with this thing that you don’t really care if they love it like you. That’s a technicality. At least at the moment.

…and I’ve made it back to Louisiana! Only this time, I’m there for #NASPA15 and more running! #ThePresident and I were coming off of our Shamrock Shenanigansso it only made sense that we would find a running event at our conference location and come down a couple days early to rack up more miles. Believe it or not, it wasn’t me who found the race. It was #ThePresident. And he was soooo excited. So much so, I lovingly forced my child to run with us because, well, there was a 5k option and we were staying in the same hotel.

Now I know all the rules. What type of shirts do you get with your race entry? Are there adequate water stations? Does the race have a medal for all finishers or just those who place? Is there a time limit on the course?

Cotton *eh*… Not really. Nope – no medals at all. Kinda.

Why “kinda” you ask? Well, let me tell you…

START: This maybe wasn’t the best idea. Especially after a night on Bourbon Street.

Mile 1: Wow. This city had been through so much, and it’s still so beautiful. I could totally see myself living here.

Mile 2: Yea, living here. In a house. Fully air conditioned. Ain’t nobody get time for this. It’s March and still this humid. Ain’t no way… *remembers I signed up for RnRNOLA 2016* *enters Audubon Park*

Mile 3: This is such a lovely park. So much life in this city… What are they doing over there… *begins running the wrong way, has no idea* *has gone almost a mile in the wrong direction*

Mile 4: Wait… Where did everyone go? This isn’t the running event I was here with? Do. They. Have. A. Full. Marching. Band. With. Them. On. This. Same. Path? *detours through the grass*



*desperate search for the exit from the park back to the street, hella lost*


Mile 5: *exits Audubon Park* I quit. Running is stupid. Where is the Jambalaya? Well, It’s obviously not that way *looks back at NOLA PD car trailing me*… I’m definitely the last person this time.

Mile 6: That jambalaya better be hella good. I wonder what Cori’s doing? She’s obviously finished her race by now. How many colleges are on this street anyway? #PassesTulane&Loyola

Mile 6(0.2): …and I don’t even get a medal. Dammit.

FINISH: Is it time to eat? They give you hand grenades after the races in NOLA, right?

My sweet baby was waiting at the finish line for me with a cup of water and a smile. I was just glad I found the path. I had plenty of time to rest up. I mean, there was no point in powering through the race. Running through the parade crowds, on the wet grass around them, and literally in the wrong direction – all having already past the one water station, I kinda just you know, took my time.

She told me about her “struggle” to the finish. It only sounded that way because she didn’t believe she could do it. But she found her strong, and finished stronger – and in some beautiful shoes… #ImNotJealous #OkayALittleJealous

As we made our way back to the hotel via the St Charles Road trolley, and she thought about her life and the decisions I made that brought her here, she commented about the moment. She said that had anyone else done this, asked/told her to sign up for this race and do it, she would not have. It wasn’t even about peer pressure or anything like that. Connection. Influence. It’s about those.

There are people in our lives who are so connected to who we are as beings, that we will do literally anything. They exert that much influence over the very next thing we may do. How wonderfully dangerous is that? To know that the answer will always be yes – even when the answer is really no. I giggled as she told me (and her significant other) that. Then, I wondered if I was even worth of such a thing. Or even a responsible enough human to manage that kind of power. eeek bro. eeek.

What were the lessons learned on this day?

1.  Running isn’t everyone’s thing. People aren’t going to be committed to this endeavor like me. But, if you have any control over them (ie: motherhood) then, it doesn’t matter if it’s their thing. Make them do it anyway. Plus, exercise is good for you.

2.  Make your own medals. It’s worth it when you’re forcing people to run with you and the running event doesn’t have them. That was probably the best feeling ever – having a medal waiting for my baby when we got back to the hotel. Yes, I made her wear it.

3.  Jambalaya after a race can’t replace a medal. But it’s a hell of a better option than a banana. I’ve done the research.

4.  Our spheres of influence are higher, wider, and deeper than we could ever know. Pray to God that you have enough humility to never know the depths of that influence.

This race was awesome! And that’s hard to believe – um, there was no medal, right? But was there?  Three checks off my list! I got a new state, a “new” friend, and a new running event! Everything about this one was winning.

Even getting lost.

#15ThingsIn2015 Challenge

5 new states (Louisiana – 1 down, 4 to go)
4 new friends (OldieButNewbie #RunningHubby; My Child – 2 down, 2 to go)
3 new running events (Shamrock Half; St Charles Road Race – 2 down, 1 to go)
2 back-to-back running events
1 Half Marathon PR

No comments:

Post a Comment