Monday, June 29, 2015

emotional unavailability #ItsAThing

Yea, that’s a thing. At least I think it’s a thing. I’ve been hearing about it more and more from friends, from strangers, from cute runners. You know, that well…life happened to them, and took their emotions with them. Or something like that. I even defined it in that book thingie I wrote that one time. There are lots of different types of unavailability when it comes to men, you know. So I published a glossary of the various types. You know...to help the people out. Because we have this fascination with classifying and defining things. Instead of just letting things be. #ThatIsAWholeNothaOthaPost

emotionally unavailable[ih-moh-shuh-nl-lee · uhn-a-vey-luh-buhl] adjective  
the worst kind of unavailable to be. He’s sometimes single, but most often times in a complicated situation that’s likely going to end – soon. He’s been abused in this last/complicated relationship and he doubts his ability or desire to love. Or, he’s treated that last woman like an ass because of whatever has happened between them, now sees the error of his ways, and he’s ready to move on, but there is no way to really “end” it because something is still there. Love, or something like it, or feelings, or emotions, or both of their names on the lease. He uses the words “emotionally unavailable” to keep you at a distance because, bottom line, he’s afraid, and he wants to live the bachelor life for a while. He really digs you, just not this you, right now. In a few months, he might be ready for something more substantial, but right now, he’s DTF if you’re DTF. No judgments. Just F.

I thought that at one point in my life (well multiple times…stop fact checking my blog) that I was emotionally unavailable. Hurt does that to you. Loss does that to you. Not knowing why – yep…does it to ya! Knowing why? Does it even worse. The knowing is always worse – way worse #TrustMe #IveDoneThatResearchToo. There is no Untelling #ThatWasAGoodBook. You will always know. You will never forget. Going from feeling like, you’ll never be as beautiful as you are right now to knowing, gurl, you wasn’t cute…none of the time …yeah, that takes something from you.

But honestly, I was emotional before that, all through it, and even in this season of growing beyond it. Hella emotional bro. Hella. And perhaps my not being ready to be anything to anyone, or not believing I could be anything to anyone, or would ever be anything to anyone made me “unavailable”, but it really didn’t. It just meant that I was an emotionally beautiful disaster. And, until I did something about it, I wasn’t going to be any good to anyone. Especially myself. Lord knows I was no good to me.

That didn’t mean that I wasn’t capable of creating something beautiful. Or that I needed to figure out my mess all by my lonesome first, before something wonderful could happen to me. Most love, real love, at least in my humble opinion, starts in the broken parts. That’s where you get to know me. That’s where the secrets to loving me are lost. Every important thing you will ever know about me is there. And my emotional mess exposes it.

I don’t really believe in emotional unavailability. I believe we all make choices. We decide who we are every day. Sometimes that choice  is a conscious affirmation of the person we want to be. Other times, we purposefully choose something else, because who we want seems too burdensome to be. Then, generally where I am, there are those who abdicate the decision making process – abstaining is the most some of us can do. And there is nothing wrong with any of those. There is also nothing wrong with not looking for a word or phrase to describe what you are #NotMarketingThatGlossaryIWroteSoGood. You can just be. That's cool too bro. 

That is the beauty of this flawed humanity. Regardless of our desire to feel anything, or give anything, it happens anyway. Someone will eventually poke you from behind when you least expect it - because you were talking about bacon taffy and not expecting to be poked at all. And it will make you feel something that surprises you, mostly because of who you were saying you were. I don’t think any of us are emotionally unavailable. We just run low on courage. It takes courage to feel – especially when you’ve done it and it didn’t work out the way you planned. That’s never easy. It’s necessary. It definitely has to be done. And if you’re afraid, do it then.

That’s the perfect time.

No comments:

Post a Comment