Wednesday, July 1, 2015

When you sacrifice a shower #ToBeGreat

Dr Splits on Trees did a relay race. No not a basic race like the one she did in Las Vegas in 2013 – you know that “half of the half” of greatness turned 10K so it can kind of sound great now race (but we all know the truth). No, not that. She did a badass relay with 11 of her closest (read: I’m not sure how well she knew them folks, so I just picked a word that sounded nice) friends and relayed 200 miles. This kind of makes her almost as awesome as me and Alicia. But, she did do the “half of the half” in Las Vegas so, Alicia Keykey and I refuse to let her greatness be fully realized. But she hella close.

All on the brink of greatness and whatnot.

Well now, imitation being a form of flattery, I have signed up to do the same thing. This October I’ll be running Ragnar Napa Valley with 11 of my closest (read: I only know one person on this relay and I don’t even think we got assigned to the same van, but I guess I have enough time to get close to the 10 other people) sister friends.

Yup. 205 miles. Napa to Calistoga. Just call me Runner #8 (legs 8, 20, and 32) because I’m about that life. And by “bout that life” I mean, I have once again given someone a large(ish) sum of my hard earned money to do something terribly awful to myself for a medal. Because race medals are greatness. And I wanna be great. I’ve been (not) training my whole life for this! #MamaWilliMakeIt?

Bruh. You should see the way they describe these legs. Easy – Moderate – Hard – Very Hard. Da fawwwk o_0? Wheettt? What kind of descriptions are those? What does that mean? So I did what any person who signs up for something first, then goes back to read the instructions does…I started reading the website. Bro, they have their own bible. Their Own Bible, bro. I signed up for another religion unwittingly. I’ve actually used the phrase running gospel...I think the actual quote was preaching this running gospel… I’m a prophet, son. And, soon, I’ll be eulogizing my legs because…hello, the elevation chart on Leg 20 of this race? Did you see all of those directions? I get lost. I actually got lost, on a race, that was basically the equivalent of an out and back with a slight…SLIGHT…detour through a park. Who does this??

Running ‘baby jesus’…I have more questions.

So, 10 of my close-to-be+1-I-know-already friends and I are going to run 205 miles, relay style. Nonstop from Friday to Saturday. Legit like 24 hours a day into and out of the wee hours of the morning.

Awesome, right? Right.

A van with the runners will drive to the exchange point, drop off the next runner, pick up the person who just finished running and do it all over again.

Still awesome, right? Right.

And because we’ll be running nonstop. We’ll get sleep in the van, because right? Gotta keep running. Right? Yes, you actually have to keep running. Someone is waiting on you.

I promised myself I’d never go camping again (I’ll tell you that story one day), only to sign up for a race in which I’ll basically be camping.

I can be so basic sometimes.

I would say it’s part of the charm but what is charming about running, not showering, running again, THEN NOT showering again…and…repeating that with 5 of your won’t-be-close-much-longer friends?

Everything. Because, medals. Greatness. Glory. All of that.

Things I know for certain about myself…

1.    I don’t read things all the way;
2.    I love an adventure;
3.    I literally pay for people to allow me to torture myself;

AND

4.    I’ve signed up to run a race the Sunday following this.

Yep. You guessed it. Three full days of running with likely only A SINGLE (just 1 Lord) shower before the Friday race begins, and *hopefully* before the Sunday race.

You can’t get out of this Sunday race. It’s not just any race, but THE RACE. The race where you’re going to repeat the iRunTheBay Challenge – which doesn’t have to be a thing but totally is a thing. But what makes it a thing you ask? It’s where Running Hubby is going to complete his first #iRunTheBayChallenge. And, that is a thing. You have witnessed everyone’s #iRunTheBay run to greatness. Angelica Rollerskates is getting her medal too! I just gotta see that! This is one you cannot miss. Because, running, marriage, and choices yo, running, marriage, and choices. Yup. Choices.

You had better hug me after all of this. And rub my feet and legs. And feed me all of the foods. All of them. Greatness smells awesome. #LiesItellMyself #ToKeepFromCrying


No comments:

Post a Comment