Wednesday, October 28, 2015

Worst. Pace. Scenario. Leg 8, 11:00am(ish)

Well, I did it. I said I wanted to do this awesome running thing called Ragnar, so months and months ago, I gave away my money.

…and went out about my life. Because, that’s what I do. I sign up for awesome running events. Get supper geeked. Tell er’body what I’m doing. Then, get back to my stressed out life of running, blogging, working, and happy hour’ing. Because, you only get one life…so you might as well get busy living it alive, right?

Well, once October 1st hit, I knew that I was going to have to get my mind right. Because I signed up to ride in a large(ish) SUV with 5 other running lady friends and run 3 legs of a relay race. You know, effectively camp and run…at the same (damn) time.

Bruh.

You’d think I didn’t even know myself. Because I be signing up for ridiculous stuff. This dumb idea’ing knows no end. Like none.

Friday, 4:55am *knock*knock*on my bedroom door*knock*knock*

Hey, aren’t you supposed to be up? For your race thing?

*meeeeehhhh* OMG! OMG! It’s 5:00am! I'm late! I’m late! I’m Late #ForAVeryImportantDateWithRunning

That’s pretty much how the morning started. 95% packed and ready to do, and up about 45 minutes later than I anticipated. Yo, these late nights and early mornings are no good for runners. Especially first time Ragnarians. And, if you don’t make it on time, you won’t be a Ragnarian, honey. Get to it!

Oh yea, by the way, you left your bag for Sunday at your apartment. Good Luck with figuring that one out hun. Good Luck.


Yo, I am so nervous right now. Like literally. Where is my Daddie at? I need a hug for real. Have I properly hydrated? Are my shoes on the right feet? Did I put deodorant on? OMG, I need a living trust! How will all of my godchildren know what wonderful stuff of mine that belongs to them? I can’t. I really can’t. Is it time for the rapture?

Get yourself together. I mean, how difficult could “very hard” be anyway? I mean, it’s a volunteer sporting event. Like they’d make it that difficult? #yes #yesTheyWould #VeryHardIsNotYourLaneBoo

So, as the Math Major came in from a fabulous performance on Leg 6 of the relay, she gave me some helpful advice on my way to my van for the drop off.

Pay attention to the directional signs girl. I saw like 4 people go the wrong way. Follow those blue signs! Be careful.

Okay, got it. Follow the blue signs. Whatever you do, do whatever it says on the blue sign. Got it.

We were stuck in traffic, so by the time we made it to the exchange for my leg, our runner was already there. I hated that so much! We were supposed to have a flawless exchange that was not scripted, but totally looked that way on the camera, right? Anyway, she gives me a slap on the wrist with the armband, and I’m off.

…in the wrong direction. Yes. I’ve messed up already. In the first 0.01 mile of this leg. I am going in the wrong direction.

That’s okay though. Turn around. Get it back. You got this.

I’m off again. I’m feeling good. It’s a little warm, but you know, that’s a thing. Keep going. Sure it’s gonna get warmer. No matter that. Just keep running.

See a “Turn Left” sign….well, turn left and, you guessed it… Just. Keep. Running.

Down the wrong way. Of course they meant turn to the left of the street and keep going straight. Not literally turn left and run and never ever eva look back.

You big dummy. You're Lost.

So, about half a mile down a residential street, I realized that there were no other runners around me, and it was absolutely impossible that I was first. So, I ran back from the way I came, made it to the sign, to see all of the other runners making their way on Leg 8.

I mean, she just told you she saw 4 people get lost. Good Lord Gurl!

But that’s neither here nor there. You’re back on the path. You see all the other runners. You’re making this happen. You got it. Up this inclining road way. Up the uneven pavement. Up in the temperature as each minute passes. Just up. Jesus.

Then down. On one knee. Yea, that was your ankle homey. It did like 360°… You should probably stop now. That’s probably a good idea.

Fuh-K. Just when I thought I had it, I lost it. Sure I was on the right path. Just the wrong footing. And now I have 4 more miles to go. Sure I could make it. I mean, I’ve been in worse conditions finishing long runs. But this is different. There is a SUV with 5 other ladies waiting on you. And you’re not going to keep up your slightly slow perfected pace. You gotta do it. You gotta tap out. Give them a call.

No cell reception. No data. No nothing. No nada.

Fuh-K.

There has never been the feeling of disappointment like this. Knowing you are hurt. Not terribly, but the way this incline is set up…you might not make it.

Well, you ain’t got a signal. Nobody can hear you now. You might as well wobble your way to the exchange point. Bruh. You’re a mess.

One Mile To Go: OMG – there are no mile markers in this race!!! I can’t believe I haven’t noticed that I have no idea where I am on this Leg! How did I not notice that? Oh, that pain. That’s how. Well, I guess that kind of makes sense. They’d need like 200(ish) of them. At least it’s just one more mile, and not telling me that I have like 6 more.

…and that’s pretty much what happened. I wobbled all the way to the exchange point. By the time I got a message to someone from my team, I was in an area with no van support…and quite frankly, it made more sense to keep going. Good Grief, there is nothing more defeating than that feeling. And I had to wobble in it for another hour.

No data. No signal. But somehow, my GPS never went out. #ThisCantBeRealLife

*an hour later after ice and a compression sleeve* Hey, I just got your message! You tried to contact us? #ICantJesus #ButTheyCanHearMeNow

Ragnar Napa – 200(ish)miles
Leg 8: 7 miles R
Leg 20: 3.5 miles
Leg 32: 3.4 Miles

No comments:

Post a Comment