Wednesday, October 21, 2015

Can I Get A Medic?? #RnRSJHalf

I didn’t even have a good reason for running the San José half. Like seriously. I decided very early on in the year that I wasn’t doing the California Coast Challenge again, because, like, I already own California. Running it a 2nd year would be like showing off. And, let’s face it, I wouldn't show off.

But there is something about a running event happening in your backyard that pulls you in. It’s the worst kind of peer pressure, because literally everyone is running – why aren’t you? Sure you’ve been super busy (read: stressed the complete eFF out at work) and life has kind of been happening to you. A day of rest is probably the one thing that you need.

But nah. Medals.

Last year around this time, I had the bright idea to stay on campus because campus is walking distance from the start line. And, anytime you can walk to the start line, that’s almost like *does advanced calculus, carries the 4* 30 extra minutes of sleep. Sure you didn’t get those extra 30 minutes last year, but this is a new year, right?

Wrong. See, what had happened was, the football game was a night game. And I was totally supposed to go to the game. Because, support. I didn’t actually make it to the game, but somehow I thought if I stayed up all night watching the game, but from the comfort of a two-seater, not as comfortable as a bed…couch, that I would be super well rested in the morning.

I should just not think sometimes.

Start: You know the lovely thing about running. You can legit sign up to do a running event, and run into someone you know! This is awesome… *smile for the camera Jay*

Mile 1: I can’t believe I acted all outside my mind at that Race Expo for this. I’m so sleepy Jesus.

Mile 2: Did I fix my Fantasy Football line up? I’m pretty sure I did. Right? No?? Maybe?!?! FAWK!

Mile 3: Here come the battalion of little children running like they have no worries. Because, they don’t. Like this is the only thing they’re worried about right now. And really, they’re not worried. They’re having fun. #TheDarkConOfGrowingOlder

Mile 4: Is all this running worth the wine I give up? I mean, I still drink it, but not like I would if I didn’t have to run. I don’t think it’s worth it at all. I should figure it out… *starts doing the math*

Mile 5: C’mon! Positive Energy! You can do this. You can also turn at the 10k loop. #JustSayin

Mile 6: I was about to lie to myself and say I feel good. But it’s Sunday. This sucks.

Mile 7: I seriously don’t want to do this anymore. Not like fake serious like I am other times. Like really effing serious! I should have turned around at the 10K loop!

Mile 8: This little old lady won’t let me be great. Like not at all. She’s pacing me like, eff yo run…i got a least 50 years on you and you look like you’re about to die fast walking next to me. #HellaRude #OldPeopleAreRudeAsHell

Mile 9: Lord Jesus be a medical aid tent. Or one of those dudes on a bike. When you said something about a fire being shut up in my bones, did it have to be today, and have to be my knee??

Mile 10: Did I take that dress back to Banana Republic? It’s soooo cute. I totally need the belt or it’s just not gonna work. Wait, didn’t I just go through this yesterday? #5k #Mile3 #ImLosingMyMind

Mile 11: Seriously? Did everyone get a memo with my picture on it like, if you see her, beat her…I’m like EVERYBODY’s Pacer! Yo…I’m not that good son! #WellPlayedRnRSJ

Mile 12: I smell cinnamon rolls and bacon. I probably don’t really smell the bacon. I think my nose just wants to smell it. And because I smell the cinnamon rolls, bacon pairs well with them, so…*sniff*sniff*

Mile 13: HOW CAN I NOT BE FINISHED YET?!!?!?!!?! #ImNotAngry #OkayALittleAngry

Mile 13(0.1): I’m not sure I’m going to be able to make that walk back to campus. Why is the 0.1 literally always the hardest mile? And why is she so damn happy cheering for me???

Finish: Good Grief & Great God it’s over!!!!!!! *internally passes out, but stays conscious enough to get my medal*

So, I’m hobbling now. Because there is no point in trying to look good. My knee and my ankle are like, she’ll never run again! WE. ON. STRIKE! And for the first time, in any running event ever, I checked myself into the Medial Aid tent. I mean, there is no glory if you can’t make it to the restaurant for your mimosa, so, let’s wrap this ankle and knee up in the iciest ice you got homey. Like Antarctica ice.  

As I looked at the weary runners and other body parts abdicating their owners, I see a young, adorable, black man (read: one of my students) smiling back at me.

I should have known you’d be here! I almost left!!

I’m glad you didn’t it *not here for the reunion* What’s good on some of that ice tho?

He pulled out a chair for me. Wrapped my knee and congratulated me on a job well done. It didn’t feel like that. It never feels like that. I’m not sure if I am ever going to feel great after a run. I’m looking for something magical, something Narnian almost. I always feel like everyone else can do so much better than me.

Our catching up didn’t last long. Another runner needed medical attention. He disappeared in a flash, gripping that stethoscope about his neck. Face ready for whatever medical dilemma the runner had. Then I became the proud one. In this line of work – adultbirth – we don’t always get to see our babies in action. You know, like Joe going to see Susan at the hospital #DrewWasHellaPissed #JoeWasLikeTakeThatTakeThat. You know, the same way we never get that recognition for all you’ve sacrificed along the way. He’s going to make a fine young doctor one of these days. And if I didn’t nothing more than let him practice on my knee and ankle, it was worth every weary mile.

I’d do it all over again.

#15ThingsIn2015 Challenge
5 new states (Louisiana – 1 down, 4 to go) #iShouldWorkOnThisOne
4 new friends (OldieButNewbie #RunningHubby; My Child; WickedWineRunCrew (6 people!) – 8 down, -2 to go)
3 new running events (Shamrock Half; St Charles Road Race; Orange County Half; Wicked Wine Run – 4 down, -1 to go)
2 back-to-back running events (Rock N Roll San Jose 5K & Half – 1, 1 to go)
1 Half Marathon PR (Rock N Roll San Diego! 6 minutes! – 1 down, 0 to go)

No comments:

Post a Comment