Wednesday, October 14, 2015

The Bruin Reunion #RnRSJ5k

I keep telling myself that I’m going to stop doing all these repeat running events. But there is something to being hella loyal, and well, you know me. Of course I had to make it back for Rock N Roll San Jose! I mean, I live like a handful of miles away. I can walk to the starting line from my friend’s place. So, yea, I’m totally going to do that. Again.

And, I totally do these events like all the time, so basically they are expecting me to be there, right? It’s like, they roll out a special purple carpet for me because this GirlieGurl is definitely going to grace this running event with her presence, right?

*enter the expo*

Well, that’s weird. There are two races, and I only have one race bib number. Surely someone just got things mixed up. Surely. I’ll just go to the Solutions booth and get this worked out.

*waiting in line*

Hi, can I help you?
Yes. I was trying to get my race bib numbers, and there was only one coming up. Can you get me the race bib number for the other event?
I’ll take a look. *goes into the Matrix* Well, actually we only have you registered for one event.
Wheetttt? *surely you must recognize me, there has to be some mistake…did you not see the processional?* Um, there are two races. Why would I just sign up for one?
The person next to me can check into this for you. She can see more stuff that I can.

*waiting for the next person*

Yes. The woman next to you said that I was only registered for one event this weekend.
*looks into the Matrix* Yes, I see you are a tour pass holder. You’re registered for the 5K and you registered for the Half in San Diego and Las Vegas.
Uh…and San Jose.
I don’t see that here. I see that you have another tour pass registration to use.
Well, I register for these things all the time. I literally pay for other people to run these events without them knowing, so um, why in the world would I not *make sure I’m getting all my medals* register myself?
We can totally get you registered today. If you take this card to the registration booth, they’ll get you registered for the Half.

*they better…or this will be the 10th and final year of this event homey…ask about me in these streets*

Okay, it was actually more dramatic than it seems. Like for real. You know I am a snob about my running. And yes, while everything was taking care of, this was the year of bacon themed race bibs…so that awesome bacon name I came up with is forever lost.

…and you cannot replace that. #PRandBacon #NeverForgetSanDiego #iWasGreat

Okay, so the 5K…

Start: Okay, let’s get this money. I mean medal. I’m hungry.

Mile 1: I’m glad I stretched. Cause that would have hurt if I didn’t get that good stretch in. #iDidntStretchWellOrMuchAtAll #iHurt #ForReal #ItsNotAnApp

Mile 2: Good thing you’re almost done and you’re not running anymore this weekend. Because you didn’t almost show your entire arse in the Expo trying to get registered for a Half Marathon the next day. #YouDid #YouCouldHaveSleptIn #ButYoullBeBackHereRunning #YoureSoSmart

Mile 3: I need to take that dress back to Banana Republic. Or see if they can replace the belt. How did I buy that super cute dress and not get the belt? It came with a belt? It was there when I tried it on? What happened to the belt? #ImDeliriousAtThisPoint

Mile 3(0.1): I’m going to need that beer. I think I just used my last carb.

Finish: Bruh. -_-

I do not know how people stay so committed to their training over the summer. I mean c’mon, the sun is out! Sun dresses have been collecting dust ALL the other seasons long. I mean, it seems almost criminal not to, well…you know, live it up.

So another summer of limited running and training. I mean, sure I got the Wine Run in, but let’s face it…wine.

But that’s not what makes this awesome. I got to see one of my favoritest people I never get to see at these events. A fellow Bruin. It’s so interesting all of the people that intersected into my life during that time. And this guy, class act. Kind. Funny. Caring. Thoughtful. Genuine. Real.

Who happens to have a brother who is a running rockstar! Like, accomplished like none other. You know, the guy that helped me to figure out the winning in running?! Yea, that dude

Who was also the dude that took our group usie.

Because, no matter how famous you get, that sibling connection trumps all medals. You could be the person to cure cancer *hey, totally do that*…and your sibling could have you, minutes later, doing their laundry…because ‘member when you came in the house past curfew and you scratch the car?

And that medal ain’t saving you from Mama so…. what angle you want this usie?fluff and fold, right?

#15ThingsIn2015 Challenge
5 new states (Louisiana – 1 down, 4 to go) #iShouldWorkOnThisOne
4 new friends (OldieButNewbie #RunningHubby; My Child; WickedWineRunCrew (6 people!) – 8 down, -2 to go)
3 new running events (Shamrock Half; St Charles Road Race; Orange County Half; Wicked Wine Run – 4 down, -1 to go)
2 back-to-back running events (Rock N Roll San Jose 5K & Half – 1/2 down, 1.5 to go)
1 Half Marathon PR (Rock N Roll San Diego! 6 minutes! – 1 down, 0 to go)

No comments:

Post a Comment