Wednesday, October 8, 2014

Pure Genius, #Race13Medal12 #ChallengeMedal1

I’m trying to get my Cali Combo Medal RnRSJ is soooo happening… That was me 22 weeks ago (says Instagram) when I was in #100DaysOfHappy mode. I’m certain Pharrell was not thinking about this when he was happy.

The night before a race is spent eating all the pasta in a 10 mile radius and resting. Because, miles and miles to go before I medal, right? Typically. But not this day. I ran a 5k. Then I went to a wedding. And it was homecoming at my place of employment. And because tailgating and tickets to the game are free, at 8:00pm the night before my race, I’m in the stands of Spartan Stadium with JRock.

See? Genius.

I know what you’re thinking, you went home right after that right? So you could get some rest, right? Wrong.

Good Idea: Staying on campus the night before so you can walk to downtown where the race begins and ends. This means you can sleep longer and not have to worry about parking.

Bad Idea: Realizing you left your iPod with your running playlist in your car parked at your Uncle’s place. He lives 20 or so minutes away. And you can’t get there – because your car is there. And you’re 20 or so miles away from it.

So you get out of the bed, wait for your Uncle – who will probably never do anything for you, like not even open a can of soda for you, because he hates everything you represent – to bring you to your iPod. And car. Because he’s not taking you back to campus. He doesn’t like you. At all.

Good Idea: Getting comfy in the bed to recoup the sleep and rest you did not get because you did the worst job planning your day and you don’t know how to deal with peer pressure very well.

Bad Idea: Deciding to stay on campus during Homecoming because students are so well behaved throughout the year, especially during Homecoming. Because nobody will pull the fire alarm in the building you’re staying in, which also activates the alarm in the parking garage making a normal fire alarm activation a 2+ hour ordeal, beginning at 3:00am.

Like I said, I am literally the smartest person you know. And yes, I signed up for 2 races. On the same weekend. #ThisChallengeIsSilly

Race Day: *fire alarm hangover* I could just stay in this bed all day.

Start Line: I don’t think I can do this. Like seriously. Unlike any other start line, in any other city, for any other race… I am literally in fear that I won’t make it. But I want that medal tho. #ChallengeBackOn

Mile 1: I need to use the bathroom. Dammit.

Mile 2: Awwww, lookie at one of my old student staff members volunteering at the race! That’s so cool. Now pass that water bruh, it’s hot out here. *sees bathroom* *Thank the Lord*

Mile 3: I wonder if JRock still out here? I might need somebody to come get me. #iHurt #ThatsNotAnApp #ThatsMeInPain

Mile 4: *wondering why I seem to be hurting this early in the race* Ooooh Yea. I ran a 5K yesterday. Then went to a wedding. And wore heels. Then a tailgate. And a football game. And a fire alarm. Oh, okay. Makes sense.

Mile 5: It’s 91 thousand damn degrees out here tho. #WeShouldaDelegatedTheTemperatureToMoses

Mile 6: I could almost be done right now. Like my friend I think I see passing me. You know, the smart one that’s doing to 10K.

Mile 7–9: Don’t ask.

Mile 10: Why do I make life so difficult for myself?

Mile 11: You couldn’t pay me to walk down this street. Ever. Wait… I’m actually paying to run down this street. #FacePalm

Mile 12: This isn’t Rock N Roll San Jose. This is Rock N Roll Hades. Who in the hell *literally* turned the heater on in the Bay Area?! It’s October. Ain’t nobody got time to sweat 2 week old braids out!

Mile 13: Hump. This looks familiar. *shrugs*

Mile 13(0.1): *realizes this was the same corner I was turning just a day ago* Yea, I’m not doing another remix challenge again. This is stupid and silly, and the people who organize events and challenges like these should have to appear before Congress. This may not be too hard for God, but this is extremely difficult for me.

Finish Line: *queues up choir* I just want to Thank…You…Lord…

The day prior, I thought to myself, I will live to regret this. And I did. Only it did not even take a full 24 hours. I was in pain most of the race. Between that and the sauna known as San Jose, I was miserable for the last half of the running. I feel like, if the race starts before the sun comes up, then it should stay where it is until I cross the finish line. #mannersSJ #manners

Though so many things connected to this experience pounding the pavement sucked (by my own design and piss poor planning/preparation), there were a few bright moments. One in particular that made me smile.

As I was stretching, convincing myself that this was totally a great idea and I was going to have the most amazing time ever, a woman got my attention. She asked if I was part of the Black Girls Run group. I responded No because I realized right before I answered that question, that I never actually “signed” up for it. A friend added me to the Facebook group, but aside from that, I did not complete my membership application or apply for my card. Hell, I don’t even have a Black Girls Run tee yet.

But I’m in the group. I’m connected to the community of black women who buy things at running stores. And she is too. She also did her first marathon in San Diego. You know, that place where I had an #EpicSummerRun and learned a lesson in chivalry? Yup, she was there. And, she’s going to be in Los Angeles when I do the ridiculous again and run in back to back events. Only this time, I was brilliant enough to put a flight and 340 miles in between them. Oh, and she is planning to rock the #StripAtNight too!

We took a picture and went to our separate corrals… #SheIsWayFasterThanMeTho #GoGirl #RunBlackGirlRun. And I thought, you were kinda creepy asking her all those questions…you really get real weird about this running stuff 'Teezy…you need to chill out. And after that I realized that she will probably run away from me in Los Angeles.

Eventually, I saw the novelty of it all. We all do this for our own reasons. We register ourselves. Commit to our training with varying levels of effort. Safety pin our bibs. Find our corrals. Start. And finish. And many of us never meet the thousands of people running past alongside us. But we are all there. All connected. All together. And we all get it. Unlike all the other people watching us run, cheering us on, or wondering why we would ruin a perfectly good weekend with a 20-mile training run, we understand it. It makes perfect sense.


Kind of like working in student development. It looks crazy from the outside.

From the inside, we know exactly what kind of crazy it is. And we show up again the next day. That’s the genius in all this. #LevelsAndLevelsAndLacesToThisBro #LevelsAndLaces

This Race: Rock N Roll San Jose, Half Marathon, San Jose CA
Medaled Miles to date: 67.47 miles
Total Raced Miles to date: 80.57 miles 
2 Medals To Go ǁ 86% Complete
(Challenge Medal 1, 13 Medals ǁ 93% Complete)

No comments:

Post a Comment