Tuesday, July 7, 2015

Being Optimus Prime #OnATuesday

I see these posts all the time because, well, internets yo. They are everywhere. I mean, you expect them in your healthy lifestyle and fitness groups but they seem to pop up everywhere. And I suppose it is something to celebrate. You changed. Maybe you didn’t get any dough, but you changed, you changed, and that’s awesome. Especially if it’s the change you were wanting, right?

Because, weighing less is the goal. If you’re Sarah Jenks, you weigh less so you can live more. If you’re some of the other people I’ve seen in these innanets, then it’s to keep the blood pressure lower, prevent the prescriptions, or you’re just in need of some attention.

If you’re me, you….do your best to scroll right on by. No hate, no judgement, just a scroll. When you’re me, you’re not secure enough in yourself to post a picture of you weighing more, next to a picture of you weighing less. Because the less you weigh isn’t enough, even if your baby mama in Florida thinks you’re everything now…(not that you weren’t before, but…well…less)...yes, that’s your reality. But, not really. Your reality? You’re still afraid of scales. Sure you bought one because it was purple, but you don’t ever actually use it.
#LawdDontSlideToTheRightAnymoreThanYouAlreadyDo

And if you’re me, you know the transformation on the inside is nothing like the one on the outside. Because where you’ve lost the most weight, most people will never see. So it’s hard to participate because you don’t have a before and after of that for your picture collage.

I don’t hold my humanity against myself like I used to. Oh my goodness, I was so hard on myself. I took the whole “two people playing a role” in a conflict thing to the extreme. I always knew it was my fault, and I always spent way too much time trying to figure out not just what I did wrong, but the long exhaustive list of all the things I did wrong - because, I’m a terrible people who constantly makes mistakes though she really wants to be perfect. I’m that person who gave herself a hard time for being human, regularly. But, conversely, forgave people because they were flawed, cause that's the condition of humanity. But somehow not my condition. See where I'm going with this. I’m a mess. I’m still a mess I suppose…but one that weighs less.

I just don’t anymore. And if you really know me, like my best friend, then you know what that means. I just won’t, and I don’t feel any kind of way about it. There was a time when I wouldn’t, and it would eat me up inside. How could I not show up? I was invited. All of my friends will be there, and I’m the only one defecting. You’ve always done it. You’ve always been there. It’s the “right” thing to do. I have learned the hard way that I don’t have to, and that’s okay. And the longer I allow other people’s perceptions of/reactions to my decisions to impact me, the longer I am going to be unhappy. If I don’t want to show up, I won’t – and won’t feel any kind of way about it. If I want to go alone, I’ll get one ticket to the show, and enjoy SF Jazz all by myself.

I understand choice better than I once did. I don’t always get it immediately, but it becomes clear to me much sooner than before – which has been evident in the conversations I’ve been having with people. We, me especially, spend so much time attempting to understand the choices of others. How could he hurt me? Why is she being so mean to me? Why is he doing this to me? How can she treat me this way? Why is he being so petty #SeemsLikeYaPetty? What is wrong with her? We have questions that need answers, right? Or, at least we think we need the answers. I told you about the Untelling. That’s hard for sure. But these are questions that have nothing, absolutely nothing to do with you. Mostly because you have a choice. You can decide to give this life, or nah. You can choose to understand who you are and how you made decisions to end up in the places you’ve been, or nah. You can choose to understand your choices better and make them with authority the next time. Why do you care to know the answers to these questions if it’s over? Once I realized that was the most important question I never asked myself…then figured out my answer…my choices became easier to make. And a little easier to understand.

I do things for me, just because. I know, that sounds crazy, right? Don’t most people do things for themselves? Yea, I’m not most people, and the answer is no, I really didn’t. Don’t get me wrong, I will go get myself shoes just because the sky is where it always is, but that isn’t something that I was doing for me, for my internal happiness. But something for me, just because I’m me? Gurl, nah. Nope. I have such incredible guilt for doing something for myself. It feels selfish…and Lord knows the baggage I carry around because of that word. Oddly enough, the running is what helped me get to this place. Singing up for a running event is a terribly individual thing. You choose it. You input all your information. You show up. You do it. You get your medal. That’s it. Nobody else gets any of the glory. No one else’s medical information goes on the back of the race bib. And the number on the front? All you. So, without knowing most times, if any of my friends will be there, I sign up for a race. Most times, a friend or two will be there, but sometimes it’s just me. And that’s awesome too. I’m worth it.

Good grief I’ve transformed. And God willing, I’m never going back. Everything about this new me is strange, but strange isn’t bad. It’s hard, challenging, different, and a little weird – but it feels so good. It’s even heavy sometimes.

...but that is weight worth carrying.

No comments:

Post a Comment