Monday, February 10, 2014

On Rare Occasions, I'm: Selfish > Selfless


I'm sorta, kinda, actually selfish...

But let me explain that.

No, I'm not sharing him. Don't. Ask.
I'm not selfish at all. That pissed me off when my ex of however long we were together and however long we were friends before we were together (for however long) said it to me. I'm really actually pretty damn selfless. Ask Tab. Not the key on your keyboard. The best friend that I ever had. The person on Earth who knows me better than anyone. Well, except Jesus - but that's not a fair comparison. Anyway, point remains, I'm not selfish.

Until, I realized that under the right circumstances, for example, being spoiled rotten by your mother's only brother, then yes. In that one particular instance, that ex was kinda, sorta, absolutely right. I'm selfish. I want, what I want, when I want it, and I honestly don't feel any kind of way about anyone that feels any kinda way about it.

But it's not my fault.

See, when we were kids, that guy I was talking about, my Uncle, kinda spoiled me (and my other six sisters) rotten. We're expired. Past due. Moldy and moody. He used to bring us toys, gifts, cash, ice cream, and laughs. Piggy back rides, and actual rides in his car. To pretty much anywhere we wanted to go, when we were ready to go. He used to take us to Cal Skate in Milpitas all the time. He always seemed to have people with him besides us on those trips. Not people though, person actually. A girl. Okay, he brought his girlfriend(s). Don't ask me their names. I remember some. There's one you really shouldn't say around us. We couldn't stand that heffa. ugh.

Anyway, Cal Skate. Milpitas. Girlfriend. We went skating all the time. This means we had to get in the car. There's a driver's seat, a passenger seat and a back seat. So, I'll give you a second to guess the seating assignments. And you've just won the jackpot if you said: Uncle drove, Niece rode passenger, and Girlfriend in the back. I mean, where else was I supposed to sit? And, it's not like he felt any kind of way about it. I mean, I am his niece, right?

Only, I was his niece. Not a woman. Just a kid. A little (girlie)gurl, who adored her Uncle who happened to adore her. He used to tell us "no" all the time, but we all knew it wasn't a "no"...it was more like, "No, you didn't ask me that silly question when you know I'm going to do it." Like wax my car. It took me a while to understand that "no" actually meant "no"...sometimes. I get confused though, every now and then. My ex told me "no" once, and I really, in my heart didn't actually believe that was the answer. I was legitimately lost.

I'm a woman (kinda) now. And I kinda see that it was a fcked up thing, you know. What me and my Uncle did. *shurgs* As a woman, I'd never want to be in that situation. It kinda sucks. But in the moment, what do you do? Yea, it's a spoiled ass kid around...but a kid nonetheless, and you're like an outsider. There's no genetic relation, and if somebody gotta die, I mean...genetics.

pretty much.
When I made that realization above, I thought, maybe I should mature my relationship with my Uncle. That same day my car made a funny noise. I brought my keys to him. Told him my car was broken, took the keys to his truck and left. On my way out, I told him to let me know when my car was ready. He had to ask for it back. I drove his car across the bridge going to Vallejo. I didn't have cash. He got a bill in the mail. When he attempted to chastise me about it my response was, "it's not like I was being irresponsible, I told you about it". And I was completely serious. I also made him late to hang out with his friends. When I realized he wasn't going, I got back in his car and left. I watch football games on his TV because it's better than mine. When my hand is empty and in front of him, he puts money in it. I mean, it's empty...jeez. 

Then there was this one day. After long nights in the office, I am finally home at a kinda sorta decent hour. The day before Thanksgiving. The day when everyone is supposed to home hanging out and cooking. Only, he's going out. 

Me: Where you think you going?
Unc: Salsa dancing. You don't salsa.
Me: Are you crazy? I speak Spanish. *latin 2 step*
Unc: -_-
Me: Oh, and I got the perfect dress?! I'm going...
Unc: No, you're not going with me.
Me: -_-
Unc: How do you think you're getting there? I got people with me. You can follow me.
Me: Sure can. Follow you to your car.
Unc: Where are the other people going to sit?
Me: #FTW *shrugs* I don't know. Sounds like they got a personal problem to me. In their cars, maybe?
Unc: You are spoiled rotten. You know that right?
Me: And how do you think this happened?

Because sometimes a question is the only way to answer a question.

What? I like to salsa dance. We both knew, if I got my tail feather in that truck, his plan, is going to become my plan. Then I thought about that epiphany I had. Not the song. The damn thought. I was about to purposely do what I used to do accidentally all the damn time. Some woman was going to have to wait for her drinks because he'd be at the bar getting mine. And I was going to cause a mini scene at the bar because they inevitably would not have the particular liquor I felt like drinking #peachciroc #gingerale. They'd have to eat Jack N The Box on the way home because apparently, that's the only damn thing I want to eat after I've been out partying. They were going to have to pause their conversations because I want tell my Uncle something right in that moment - because it's funny...and time sensitive. And, right when they were having the time of their lives, the night was going to be cut short, because? Because I'm ready to go home. "I'm tired as hell, Uncle. I worked all damn day!"

And we were going to go home. And the next day we'd be watching football. Seeing my fantasy team in the league that mattered the most to me, depress me. Talking statistics and poorly tailed suits on hall of famers. Arguing over when players got drafted, what teams were going to win or lose, and calling a draw when google tells us that we're both wrong. It'll be like the night before didn't happen. Like Drew on 50 first dates. Because we're going to live long enough to live it again.

I know, I know. I'm fcking selfish.

Well, at least I'm honest.  #RedeemingQuality

...and I'm not finished. Because in making one point, I realized another.

I'm supposed to be fcking selfish. Why you ask? Because he's mine! He's MY Uncle. Not yours. Not hers, Not theirs. He's my Uncle. He's supposed to adore me. To love me despite the fact I'm a brat (of his own design). Honestly, my Uncle isn't any different than my Daddie.

They're the reason I don't take out trash. Or willingly wash my car. Or have to read the manual to figure out how to pump gas. Or feel safe as a safe in Fort Knox when we're driving through unknown neighborhoods. They are the reason that in the midst of the most horrible times personally, professionally or globally, I can smile...why? Because around them, I ain't got no worries! (yes, I said "worries") Every day, they show up and show out in this way. I know that I am completely loved...not (just) because of genetics...but because they know the worst thing about me...that I have the capacity to be a selfish brat…and they love me anyway. They know the proverbial WORST thing about me, and they love me anyway.

Call me crazy, but...shouldn't a man who loves you make you feel this way?

You didn't have to call me crazy. You know that I'm right.

No comments:

Post a Comment