Monday, February 24, 2014

I Can’t Carry This Yoke, By Myself


I saw a family being baptized. And the tears came streaming down. Not quite like the blood #ofJesus, but more like a leaky faucet. Steady. Consistent. Unyielding. Same volume of water and salt in each tear. As sure as the spirit of God flowed in that place, those tears swelled in my eyes, almost matching my heartbeat.

And I wondered why? This was not the first time I have seen a person being submerged into their new life. Hello, my father #TheGoodReveredDoctor? Fathers. Sisters. Kids. All of them. Wading in the water, to be baptized, because they found religion #NoneButTheRighteousShallSeeGod. Each one, taking a single step, on the profession of their faith, in a God, they will come to know better.

We naturally select the wrong people, don't we?
#Amen.

Then it hit me…

14 Be ye not unequally yoked together with unbelievers: for what fellowship hath righteousness with unrighteousness? And what communion hath light with darkness? #IICorinthians6

I have often interpreted those words as being on the same page with the other person about everything. The big things, right? Marriage. Kids. Where to live. Which family gets which holiday. Music. Bank Accounts. All of that. Because it is never going to work if you cannot come to an agreement (not compromise, agreement) on these things, right? Ri-, Well…

Well. I suppose that is one way to see things. And if you do, then you are absolutely right #DoYou. It makes perfect sense to be in perfect agreement about all of that. Those are the things that some of the longest, happiest of lives are made of.

But, I think, it is meant for at least me, to make imperfect sense of it. Kind of like that family did. Part of me doesn’t really care if my somebody’s son #KSJ and I agree on all those things people say matter…

Marriage: If we are happy together, right then, right where we are, then what more could I want, right then? Nothing. Anyway you bless me, I'll be satisfied. #NameThatArtist

Kids: That’s what nieces, nephews, godchildren and other people’s tax write-offs #bitter #ItsStillTaxSeason are for…at least until we figure it out. Here’s to spending a life’s savings on candy, at Chuck-E-Cheese and at Build-A-Bear figuring it out! #WeAreYourGoToBabySitters4DateNight #MakingBabiesInBAB

Where to live: Now I cannot stand Delta Airlines. But, I love frequent flyer miles. You pretty much know where I’m going with this one. You can rent anywhere.

Holidays: We are not arguing over this one. We are following the sweet potato pie. That is quite frankly the only fair way to decide. Where the pie is plentiful, so shall me, myself, I, my heart and my fork be. Eating. From the middle. #NotSharingWithHim

Music: Thank you Lord for Dre Beat-Em-Up headphones and separate iTunes accounts. Not that I know exactly how to use either of those things. Fact is, they exist, so that our union might be blessed. I don’t care anymore about a musically unavailable1 man… *in my Keyshia Cole voice* “I’ve changed my mind…”

Bank Accounts: As long as my card is not declined, what exactly is my issue here?? If DSW doesn’t have a problem, why should I? I won't. I will have trouble, however, finding a place for those shoes.

 #weseewhatyoudidthere
Because here is what matters, again, at least to me: On some predetermined-by-God day, we will wake up. We will profess our individual and collective faith in God and the unknown ahead of us. We put on un/matching white outfits. And regardless of the fact, that in our former lives we did or did not do this, we will approach the water. To be baptized. Together. …and get some of that good ole folks’ religion Marvin was singing about.

And something is telling me, if that yoke is equal, the other ones will balance themselves out in time.

With prayer. And fasting. And headphones.


_____
1Musically Unavailable: [Myoo-zik-lee · Uhn-a-vey-luh-buhl] adjective: Quite simply, this dude listens to bull-ish music like Soulja Boy, 2 Chainz, and thinks that Puff Daddy is a better rapper than 2Pac or Nas. The hell? Nope. It was never going to work. Ever. You’re actually glad he’s unavailable. I wish I could lock this dude in a padded room while jazz played – Joe Sample, Charlie Parker, Horace Silver, Miles Davis, Louis Armstrong, hell,  even Dave Koz...just music...no damn words! P-Diddy tho? Not on my watch. That Ciroc tho?? Genius. Pure (peachy) genius!

No comments:

Post a Comment