Monday, April 14, 2014

Because Stripes Will Heal You...

Stripes.

I love them. I wear them often. I did not even recognize that until I was doing laundry one day. I was sorting clothes and looked over at the pile of cold water delicates. All striped.

Yes Please!
At work this past Saturday, a family stopped me to ask about the tours of the residence halls. I almost missed their question because I got lost in the mother’s Kate Spade boxy, colorfully striped purse. #supercute

A few weeks ago I had a meeting, which was held en route to DSW because, well, if you spend a certain amount you get a free bag. So there’s that. A black and white striped bag with green accents.

I carry that bag every day. #mynewpurse #mynewworktote #multitasking

In our Palm Sunday sermon about The Cross, we visited the book of Mark and his accounting of the crucifixion of Our Lord and Savior. As we got to verse 15, And so Pilate, willing to content the people, released Barabbas unto them, and delivered Jesus, when he had scourged him, to be crucified #Mark15:15, I wondered, “scourged”?

Scourged. That does not sound like a chill word. “Hey yall, let’s go get scourged! Yay!” Right. No chill at all. And without knowing the meaning, we know a couple of things… #1…if it is in reference to the crucifixion, then it probably did not make Jesus feel good. #2…AND, if Pilate did it to appease the people in attendance on that day, then it was probably pretty painful.

The prophet Isaiah defines it for us in Chapter 53: But he was wounded for our transgressions, he was bruised for our iniquities: the chastisement of our peace was upon him; and with his stripes we are healed. #Isaiah53:5. Isaiah, you are good sir. You knew I would need a definition for that one.

I had a notation in my bible, so that means I listened to a sermon about it. And I have sung this song before. In choir stands, pews, car seats, from office chairs and transit rides… Man, ask Tasha! I've even sang them in libraries #ucla #roycelibrary #studyingandsingingatthetopofmylungs. I know the songs well, suffice it to say.

And I wear them. Every day. I usually carry something striped or have it on a part of my outfit just about every single day. I do it without thinking. If I am searching for an outfit being the indecisive daughter of Eve that I tend to be sometimes, I end up in my striped Gap sweater rushing out these days with my stripped DSW bag.

Why? I like it. The look feels comfortable. I am satisfied with the woman looking at me from the mirror. I see myself, no matter the bruises and brokenness, and I am okay. I walk around with stripes everyday and by the stripes worn by someone else a long time ago, I got healing. I got some heavenly healing because someone wore some very uncomfortable stripes one day. #dontshouttooloudnow #aintGodgood #wontHedoit #YesHeWill

If that’s not God working in mysterious ways I don’t know what other kind of convincing you are going to need. I am persuaded.

Accessorized and Persuaded.

No comments:

Post a Comment