Sunday, April 20, 2014

The Brightest Dress...uh, I mean Day!

Easter comes but once a year,
…the brightest day of all the year.
All your names, I cannot call,
...but welcome, Welcome, one and all!

Yea, that. That was one of my baby sister’s first Easter speeches. Why do I still know it? Well, in addition to our own Easter speeches and performances, we had to help her remember her speech, so on Easter Sunday, she wouldn't get up there and “Lil Darryl” it.

She pranced to the front of the Church. Somewhat hesitant, mostly excited, because well... Easter dresses, Easter baskets, Easter candy, and Hello! Easter Egg Hunts! How could you not be excited as a five year old! And that ham, dressing, potato salad, greens, mac’n’cheese and chocolate cake patiently waiting to give me some of the best sleep since that New Year's meal, tho? #Yasssss!

And, I’m saying, it only comes once a year. 

Sure, we revisit the resurrection story in sermons throughout the year. Lest we forget the blood that was shed on Calvary. Through the stripes Isaiah prophesied about, get this healing. But this story is never as revered, never as rich, never as real as when the first ashes are placed upon the first forehead. When that happens, we know.

The brightest day of all the year is finally here.

It’s been a while since I’ve recited an Easter speech, assisted with an Easter production, or dyed/stuffed eggs for the hunt. I’m older now, so the novelty in that feeling is gone. But what’s left? 

That ole Easter Dress!

You better believe I’m going to celebrate the rising of Our Lord & Savior in style! He’s been too good to me to get anything else! Most years, I’m able to happen upon the perfect look because, well... A Mall is like the couch in the therapist’s office. I make regular appointments. I figure out a color scheme. Or find the shoe that totally inspires the look. It just comes together.

Not this year though. I haven’t spent much time in therapy (window shopping) so there’s that. So much has been going on at work, in life, and running for these medals, that time has not been on my side. 

While at a work conference we literally snuck away after sessions to the Outlet Mall pretty much IN WALKING DISTANCE to the hotel #seehowtheuniverseconspires #greatness. There was a blue dress with a striking green trim panel that these brown eyes fell in love with! Perfect!

Mama please say YES to the dress!
And of course it was the perfect dress, because it was not in my size. I was heartbroken. The colors, the style, the pleated skirt, fitted bodice. Why Has Though Forsaken Me Father God in Heaven!?! I wanted to leave the store, but my friend was still browsing the other racks for work clothes. I checked, double checked, rechecked, and supervised the checking of the size labels of the dress (with the striking green trim panel) just to make sure. Finally, I accepted the fact that it was not the dress, and took my disappointment (kinda) to the sale racks. I mean, it’s never that easy to find the right one. And I cannot waste a minute of this SoCal fun being disappointed, so #ImOverIt

Then I noticed the exact same dress, in a different color scheme. A lighter one. A brighter one. The type of look that only would probably happen upon once a year.

And it’s an additional 40% off.

Stay with me Saints, I’m going somewhere with this.

I was hung up on that damn blue dress. To me, it was the one, and I just could not fathom walking into Church Easter Sunday with anything else on. I would not let it go. When I finally decided to give it up, go to another store, look for something else, I got it. I got the dress. THE DRESS! When I walked out of the fitting room with it on, my friend’s jaw dropped. She was physically stunned. One hand on her tummy, the other to the side of her face. She was speechless #sold.

I have a hard time letting go. Especially of the things it took me so long to finally hold on to, like love. But the beauty (and brokenness) of letting go, and loving God enough to trust Him is that when you do, He’ll replace it with better, with bigger, and with brighter.

God knows me well. Very well. I sat in Church, not one week ago, as the Minister basically said the same thing I wrote here. It made logical sense. It totally got it. I reviewed the notes. “God is the best Giver of them all!” And the minister is right. The more we give to God, the more He gives to us. We just have to keep on looking, keep on giving.

What did it take for the message to penetrate my heart? Remembering my little sister’s Easter speech and my anticipation for Easter Sunday. I can’t with myself sometimes.

I really, cannot. #HeAintThruWitMeYetSaints

No comments:

Post a Comment