Sunday, May 11, 2014

Standing In The Gap #ItsMothersDay #IAlsoWentToTheGapToday

I have been lost a while, in the silence of my mind. It’s the place I go when I am unable to make heads or tails of my feelings, my emotions, my thoughts, my life. It’s the place I go when my life doesn’t make any sense.

It seems that almost nothing can bring me out of the silence. I wander there. I never make my way out of it on my own. I always need help. I always need someone to save me. And as luck would have it, I got salvation.

Today. On Mother’s Day.

It didn’t come from my Mommie either. Though she usually finds me when I’m lost. It came from a child. My child. My baby girl who spent no time in my uterus. This morning, I awoke to a text message from her which simply read: Happy Mother’s Day Mommy!! :)

I have gotten that text message from her every Mother’s Day for the past 6 years or so. I smiled and rolled over. Attempting to get a few more zzzz’s before getting ready for Church.

While at Church, we all took a moment to greet each other. Introduce ourselves, shake hands, and love on each other a spell before the message. I reached out to an elderly black woman a row behind me. A woman who’s birthed generations of greatness, I’m sure. I'm absolutely positive.

Me: *smiling* Happy Mother’s Day Ma’am!
      
Her: Thank you. Are you a mother?

Me: *humbly shaking my head* No ma’am, I’m not. 

Her: Well, *pause* I’m sure you’ve mothered somebody’s baby. Happy Mother’s Day to you too.

And if I didn’t have that text message in my phone, I would have said, Well, I don’t know that I’ve done any of that. Because some of us never really know what we have actually done until someone sends you an unexpected message telling you exactly what you have done.

Then I remembered about that one time, when I attempted to write something that was like a book. And the life I wrote about. And the people in that life. And my baby girl was there waiting for me to remember her.

Of all my babies, she was the most naive, so I protected her like any mother fearing the dangers in the wilderness would do. I protected her from my mistakes, cleaned up after hers and openly and outwardly loved her. She had CM’s heart, AD’s attitude, MP’s reservation, and KF’s cluelessness. Milly made me think of my girls often. Mostly because anytime I said something to AD about her, AD reminded me that I only had 4 children. But they never needed me like she did.

And like all my girls, she longed for a father. So this made any man, anywhere, a potential suitor. Milly already picked her pony in this race though. And she, never having met “that guy”, was prepared to go all in. I was ready to let him go while she kept heating the embers left in the ashes.

She fought that fight alone and in vain. There is no telling really, the life she planned for me and “that guy”, but it included her – even the wedding. She would have been fine being a flower girl. Milly was all the way in that life and that is what mattered to her. While I was in Tennessee I obliged her innocence with my ignorance. What was a broken heart anyway? Wasn’t the first. Wouldn’t be the last. It was going to be broken eventually? Right? Riiiight…

Milly guarded my heart like a watchdog. I rarely, if ever, let her see me cry. Anyone really, but her especially. It was too much and she was far too young to recover from it. She needed to believe in love, a mother’s love and an intimate love, so I had to hold on to a few things that weren’t real. I also had to show her a few things that were. Because when you love someone, you have to be unselfish enough to give them what they want.

Daddy TWP. Somehow, my best friend became Daddy TWP. What were the qualifications you ask? He was (is) handsome. Milly was certain of many things – like the fact that there was something going on (or had went on) between TWP and I, and we just didn’t talk about it. She wasn’t the first to believe this. She won’t be the last.

Our friendship, or relationship, or the *ship* we are on or were on at the time was estranged by the National Football League. He was busy living his dream while I was bored losing mine. I missed my friend. I needed my friend. So I decided to scrapbook my very best friend.

Old photos, laughs, memories, and other things that he and I would understand, a story succinctly told in 50 or so pages.

ooooooo Mama, what’cha doing? I wanna do it! Milly’s voice was always full of curiosity and excitement. She didn’t have to announce herself anymore, she had the spare key.

I’m making a scrapbook. Not sure I even looked up from the kitchen table.

Who is this cutie? Hmph, he’s fine!

That’s my cousin. Smiling, each picture was such a found memory.

He’s still fine.

…and that’s SDP and that right there is TWP. My three men.

TWP? What he do? Where he live? Is this your boo? Oh yea, he can get it! Milly’s reactions to attractive men were fairly scripted. The questions are sometimes asked in a different order, but they always end with, Oh yea, he can get it!

Wow! Um, no, that’s my best friend. He plays football and he’s going to get this scrapbook. A decision I made right then, in that statement.

Still stuck on the “um, no” Milly couldn’t get any further, ...you ain’t never did nothing with him? You should…hmph, this my new daddy since you don’t know who my real one is… Oh yea, Daddy TWP.

For weeks she watched me cut, paste, copy, print, do, re-do, match, tell and re-tell days of old. When I was a different me in a very different world. Milly listened more attentively to those stories than any of her classes. She could recite them like old family memories. I wish she would have paid more attention to those classes though. But I knew she loved them – the stories. Hell, I loved telling her. For no other reason than to remember people who made my life something special. I never thanked UCLA for bringing us all into the same space, so that we could be all the things that we were to each other. Westwood was a wonderful host. I suppose as long as I keep paying Direct Loan Servicing Center, I’ll always be saying a special monthly “thank you”.

By the time I finished (or gave up because I couldn’t add any more pages) she understood. Just like CM. Love isn’t anything but love. It’s not self serving, or lustful or any of those things you see in romantic comedies – it’s not even all that funny. The biggest sacrifice you make is loving someone else. It will be easy to do because that’s the nature of love, but it will require your everything – the hard part. It doesn’t feel space or time or distance or anything but itself. There is no explanation (which baffles the scientist in me) for it. It is exactly all that it is, and that is enough.

Milly flipped through each page, sad to see it go, impressed with my attention to detail, confused by some of the messages, curious about the inside jokes, but certain that TWP and I could love each other and that be it. Though, I know, she hopes for the “Harry Met Sally” ending. I can feel it.

Milly would leave MTSU for Atlanta, Georgia. One of two things about Atlanta that would break my heart. As much as I didn’t want her to leave Murfreesboro, I know that my sin, leaving her, would come with a great consequence. And though I didn’t make that decision for her, she is my child and I should have set a better example for her. It wasn’t time for me to go. And neither was it for her. But I understood. Any parent worth their chops know that some lessons have to be lived to be learned.

…and learned to be understood.

And just like that, I’m back. Back to my purpose in life. #writing #mothering #godmothering #GapFilling&Shopping #seewhatIdidthere

No comments:

Post a Comment