Wednesday, November 4, 2015

Alice In Wine-derland #WereAllCrazy #ALittleBit

<< Third Leg #HowTheWestWasRun

Ragnar Napa was an amazing experience. Like, I was super fortunate for the lovely ladies from #RagNoirSistahs to allow me into the running fold. I mean, super fortunate. I had no idea what I was getting into, and honestly, as it was happening, I was pretty damn clueless. But through it all, I had a community of awesome women right beside me.
Like super awesome. So much so, there were 2 teams. I got the unique and distinct pleasure of running with 23 other fabulous females! I can’t wait to do it again. Really. *neck scratch* Uh, when we signing up for the next one boss?

Trust. If you don’t trust any other process, you HAVE to trust that this is going to work. A Ragnar Relay isn’t something you can figure out from a website. It’s not even something you can piecemeal from survivor testimonies. You literally HAVE to be there. The Ragnar experience works. It really does. Your leg is hard because that’s the best part of it. It’s supposed to be hard. Because, what will you tell those who come after you?

Communication. For a person like me who oscillates between not being in touch with her feelings and not wanting to talk about them, sharing a SUV on a 36 hour relay isn’t exactly the best place to be…at all. You have got to talk to people. I was so disappointed when I rolled my ankle. I got the team super off pace. I could hardly walk. It was hot as Summer Jam in Hell, and quite frankly I was over it. Runner12 asked me if I was going to get out of the SUV to greet the next runner in. I finally shared with her that I was afraid to put any weight on my leg. She then asked me what I needed. I almost said nothing. But I was honest with myself, then with her. I need some ice. I’m afraid it’s going to swell. I’m not sure why I was even hesitant to say something. But, she came back with ice and a smile. #NamingMyNeedsIsSoHard

Plan. You’ve got to have a plan. Like you need to anticipate all of your potential needs because once you get out there, that’s it bro. As I was packing my clothes in my gallon zip lock baggies with dryer sheets, I came across my ankle compression sleeve. I thought to myself, you never know, might as well and nonchalantly packed it. When my teammates from Van 1 were checking in on me, one mentioned, how’s your ankle? Oh, you must have ankle issues come up? To which I replied, well, not since I had the bad sprain a couple of years ago. I’m not even sure why I packed it because I haven’t used it – glad I did tho.

Just Run. Like seriously. There is nothing else you need to do other than what you signed up to do. Run! Everybody around you is doing it. Go as fast as your body will allow you, and enjoy every second of it. Because once you pass that slap bracelet to the next person, you are going to miss it – almost instantly. And there aren’t any mile markers out there anyway, so you’re not even going to know where you are in your leg…until you hit that “One Mile To Go” sign…so you might as well get there as quickly as you can. #CatchMeIfYouCan #MostPeopleDid

Fun. If you don’t know how to have fun, then don’t bother. There was so much. From the hilariously decorated vans. To the smiling faces at the exchanges. The super creative costumes. And the upbeat attitudes. This is first and foremost for fun! If you can’t get over your issues (minor ankle boo-boo) and find some happy, then you’re just wasting your time. It’s one of the things you have to pay to do this. You have to pay in cash money and laughs. Both are due. Like at the finish line. When you’re spent. And the host plays “Tootsie Roll” as your team comes in. Effin Turn The Eff Up! Worry about your woes on the ride home.

I’m always so surprised by what these running experiences teach me. It’s like I’m waiting on it to fail me. Like I’m going to get out here and somehow at the end of it, I’m going to seriously think this was the worst thing I ever did.

I’m grateful (to myself for a change) that I did not let my fear of the unknown keep me from this. Kind of like that time I camped (that I’ll tell you about one day). There are all these things that people don’t believe I can do…I sometimes agree with them. Then I do it. And it feels like the easiest thing that a person could do. And I forget what made it so hard. It’s crazy.

Crazy. Let’s face it. 36 hour running relay? We’re all a little bit crazy to do it. Then plan to do it again. #2016 #TheYearOfRagnar #StraightRunningSoCal #WeGotMilesOnIt

5 new states (Louisiana – 1 down, 4 to go) #iShouldWorkOnThisOne
4 new friends (OldieButNewbie #RunningHubby; My Child; WickedWineRunCrew (6 people!); Ragnar Napa Valley (10 people!) – 18 down, -12 to go)
3 new running events (Shamrock Half; St Charles Road Race; Orange County Half; Wicked Wine Run; Ragnar Napa Valley – 5 down, -2 to go)
2 back-to-back running events (Rock N Roll San Jose 5K & Half; Ragnar Napa Valley – 1.5, 0.5 to go)
1 Half Marathon PR (Rock N Roll San Diego! 6 minutes! – 1 down, 0 to go)

No comments:

Post a Comment